• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Horseplay: 1965 Fastback Restomod

At least it isn't me on this forum. Apparently I'm the blame for most of those on the other island.

It's a game taken to high levels around this place. There's a reason why newbs are welcomed with the word "nuthouse".

Not always done on purpose either. We just have a short attention span and a love of joking around.

Quick update. After getting all the electrical nailed down I went back through the entire system and verified all connections for quality (solder, shrink sleeve, etc.). Much of it was constructed over a very long course of time so wanted to make sure once everything was buttoned up there wouldn't be any surprises. Many things were wired to facilitate starting with a carburetor and swapping over to EFI once the flat tappet cam is broken in without hassle.

I've gotten in almost all the parts for the 2nd new engine. :confused: Plan is to start building it this week. As much as I am looking forward to this one the thought of yanking the existing and dropping this one in is a bit daunting. Time is not on my side.

Lots of other stuff happening too. I am bouncing from one area of work to another to keep me going. Lots of late nights and early mornings between work trips is the only way to get this done in time for the Tour. Anyone interested in a sneak peak at the custom trunk upholstery? Holding off completely installing it all until I fire up the second engine likely so I can get at the EFI tank and pump if needed. Lots of design work went into it not just for style but how it is mounted to facilitate removal for access to the hidden battery/electrical center in the trunk.

sewing.jpg stitching.jpg trunk panel.jpg

Man you are really a glutton for punishment. I wish you well. I'm currently in Germany and heading to the Czech Republic tomorrow. When I do get home I need to help my son get the Bobcat buttoned up. Then do a few PM items on the truck. My 67 sits abandoned in the background

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couldn't resist doing a bit of assembly on the new stroker. Short block is just about done. Had some clearance issues with the oil pan of choice due to the main girdle set-up. Just about have that worked out so I can get the pan mounted to seal up the bottom end. Heads, rockers and other assorted goodies are on the truck and will be here Wednesday. Gotta love the lobe profiles on roller cams!

cam.jpg

Parts truck showed up a day early. Hate it when that happens. Couldn't resist at least opening a box and having a look. These heads (TFS) are sweet. Hope to be able to find the time to do a quick set-up to measure for pushrod length so I can get them ordered to be here for the weekend.

tfs valves.jpg tfs port.jpg

What compression ratio are you thinking youll have, Terry?
All the math has it coming in at about 10.3 to 1. My goal was to get as close to 10.5 as I could but off the shelf stuff I could get quick couldn't quite get there and I didn't have time for custom pistons. I might squeeze out a couple more tenths having the heads milled a smidge. Going to check with a local who builds drag engines to see if he could do me a favor and knock them down quick. With these heads, the fuel injection system and everything else I have going pretty confident I can run that much squeeze without any issues on the available pump gas (93).

I just finished up checking pushrod length so I could get them ordered and shipped today so they would be here Friday. Stupid me forgot to throw some clay on the piston at the same time so gotta pull the head next and measure valve clearance. After the Tour I will likely get a custom cam ground so might as well find out what kind of room I have now.

Back