• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Horseplay: 1965 Fastback Restomod

Ok. Finally have a some pics and the time to post 'em up. A lot of time has been spent on it lately (as compared to the past at least). Not as much done as I would like at this point but there is a reason for that. Been doing a lot of mocking up and taking back apart. I tend to be fairly particular shall I say when it comes to my car. I have a vision of how I want things but it tends to change or evolve a bit too. Plus I find I stand around just looking at it daydreaming of what I want to do next.

When Mark was here we worked fairly quickly to try and get a lot done. There were/are a few things I needed to go back and finalize. One was the trans mount as I didn't have the right mount on hand at the time. Got that in and installed. I used a set of Ron Morris knock-off engine mounts which made it very easy to locate the engine/trans in the car. Check out that shifter location! No trimming of the hole. At all.

I got a lot of new stuff in the past week or so. Finally decided to just go with the MDL clutch hydraulic clutch kit. I really wanted to make my own but realized with my schedule it would never happen! I am changing it up a bit in that I will be using a different MC as I do not care for his low-buck remote reservoir set-up. I had a MC I bought and polished up a few years ago that is just about the same size that will work and look so much better.

Finally got to install my Lokar pedal and throttle cable set-up. Once I get the steering column installed onto the Borgeson shaft I can bolt up my wheel and pretend to drive!

Got all the stuff (I think) I will need for the brake lines. Going to use stainless and polish the lines. Yeah, I know. I just need to fab up a line straightener for when I need to make some longer runs. Do that maybe this weekend.

All my engine bay fuel line stuff showed up today. Going to go with all stainless braided and AN fittings. Lots of hoses to make up this weekend too.

Best of all the CVF Racing pulley set up came yesterday. Only problem is they left a belt out of the box. Should be here Friday. So glad I went this way. I wanted a sharp looking set-up but was not going to spend $2k on it. Simply couldn't justify it in mind. The pics of the CVF stuff do not do it justice. The machine work is incredible and the finish is gorgeous. Enough "bling" for my taste but not over the top. I think it really looks good on my orange Chevy engine :rolleyes:.

Anyway...some pics.
throttle pedal.jpg throttle bay.jpg throttle bay2.jpg trans mount.jpg shifter location.jpg engine mount.jpg

more pics...

Still need to fab my cover for the clutch hole. Couple shots of the front suspension. Roller Idler. Baer tracker set-up. Notice the gap between the bottom of the spindle mount and the Baer stud. When Mark was putting stuff together he noted it was taking quite a bit of torque to start seating them. I still have to go back and torques everything to spec but was curious if anyone here used the Baer pieces and could comment on the fit. I know someone somewhere wrote about having to mill the aluminum turnbuckle down as it was too long. Don't know if I will have that issue or not.masters.jpg hydraulic throwout lines.jpg roller idler.jpg baer tracker.jpg

Everything is looking top shelf indeed!

A few quik questions:

Did CVF do your Alt & P/S brackets as well? And can you provide more detail on the motor mounts you went with?

Thanks for the update!

A few quik questions:

Did CVF do your Alt & P/S brackets as well? And can you provide more detail on the motor mounts you went with?
Yes, the brackets are also from CVF. I went with what they call their "Beast" kit for my application. All the pulleys, brackets and hardware included. Belts were extra. Like I wrote, very nice pieces. Great customer service too.

http://www.cvfracing.com/Ford-302-Serpentine-Conversion-Power-Steering-p/302-serpentine-ps.htm

The motor mounts are from Aeroform. They sell a kit which has the standard adjustable design but also includes side plates that drop the engine 1/2". Other suppliers/makes sell these set-ups as either style or charge extra for the drop plates. I was pretty confident I needed the drop to have a shot at hood clearance with my intake and air cleaner so to me this seemed like the right choice. Once I received the parts and saw the quality and finish I knew I did good! Their customer service is awesome. She shipped me my parts that day (needed it fast as {.} was headed my way) and even called back to confirm tracking number and delivery date. All this even though her system had a problem and she couldn't verify my CC or bill me! I wasn't billed for days after. Customer first attitude. Gotta love that.

http://afmustang.com/1965-70mustangadjustablemotormountkitnewnew.aspx

Yes, the brackets are also from CVF. I went with what they call their "Beast" kit for my application. All the pulleys, brackets and hardware included. Belts were extra. Like I wrote, very nice pieces. Great customer service too.

http://www.cvfracing.com/Ford-302-Serpentine-Conversion-Power-Steering-p/302-serpentine-ps.htm

The motor mounts are from Aeroform. They sell a kit which has the standard adjustable design but also includes side plates that drop the engine 1/2". Other suppliers/makes sell these set-ups as either style or charge extra for the drop plates. I was pretty confident I needed the drop to have a shot at hood clearance with my intake and air cleaner so to me this seemed like the right choice. Once I received the parts and saw the quality and finish I knew I did good! Their customer service is awesome. She shipped me my parts that day (needed it fast as {.} was headed my way) and even called back to confirm tracking number and delivery date. All this even though her system had a problem and she couldn't verify my CC or bill me! I wasn't billed for days after. Customer first attitude. Gotta love that.

http://afmustang.com/1965-70mustangadjustablemotormountkitnewnew.aspx

Awesome! Thanks and looking forward to your next update!

I like how the inside of your wheels are black! Its going to be very sharp when finished, you've put a lot of thought into how everything looks and works together, it shows, nice job.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OK. So it's been a while since I posted anything here. Not that I haven't been busy on the car. Just that I have been BUSY altogether.

So time to catch you all up. Some of the bigger stuff I've done.

Completed installation of the Borgeson box and column. I bought a universal aluminum column mount that I polished up and modified for my purposes. Also decided to do away with the rag-joint coupling and went to a straight u-joint. If I were to ever crash this thing hard enough to get impaled I will be fine with that as totaling the car would kill me anyway! Spent quite a bit of time modifying the mount and firewall seal set-up. Air tight now and I can tuck the carpet up under the polished mount so it will still have that "show" appeal.

I decided I have enough custom stuff to do that I simply didn't need to waste a lot of time building my own hydraulic clutch linkage. Went with the proven MDL stuff. I did take the time to polish their MC though. Also made a mounting block to locate my rear brake prop valve some place neat and tidy. Happy with how that turned out.

Finally got around to finish welding up the roll bar too. Still debating if I add the front two bars and make it a six point. Reality is setting in that even if I do hit the strip it will not be frequent and as hardcore as it was in my youth. Not sure I want to be climbing over a bar getting in and out anymore. Plus, if I really wanted the bar to add significant chassis strength I would have to add an "x-brace" which would interfere with my plans for the rear seat delete. For now...four point looks cool and that is the main objective.

Spent this past weekend laying in Dynamat. That was fun.:( Not. I only sliced myself a couple times (the edges are sharp!) but wore my knees and hands out crawling around in there and damn near burnishing every square inch pressing it down into every single contour of the floor. I will say I am very happy I elected to spend the money on it over the cheaper Home Depot type stuff. I bought a small sample of some stuff others claim does the job and can tell first hand there is no comparison. Plus I know I have no worries about vertical pieces sliding down in the hottest days of summer! Covering the full floor, firewall, inside doors (did them a while ago) back of door pillars, wheel arches and inner quarter areas. Even now, sans interior, it sounds solid as hell when shutting the door.

If you are not familiar with an engine dress-up line called Hose Candy, look it up. I went out and did some research and put together my own version. Loving the idea of no hose clamps or cheap phony looking clamp covers. Plus, I have come up with a couple unique ways of dealing with all those necessary engine wires and heater hoses so they don't detract from the appearance of the engine and bay.

EDIT: here's a link http://www.hosecandy.com/

Anyway, here are the pics.
borgeson and ujoint.jpg column mount and clutch linkage.jpg rollbar.JPG dynamat.JPG dynamat2.JPG

Last edited:
Looking great Terry!

I think you will be happy with the MDL setup as it has worked flawless for us so far. One comment, one question;

I hope that you are planning on putting Dynamat on the roof as well. It was amazing the difference that made to the car, although I used Second Skin, no doubt Dynamat will work just as well.

What are you going to use for the reservoir for the clutch master? We used the stock one from MDL, I'm just not satisfied with its looks. The problem being is that it needs to be mounted above the master cylinder, so it gets in the way.

Ken,

One of the very first things I did when I got the car back from media blasting was to Dynamat the underside of the roof. It is amazing the affect it had on the sound resonance across such a large flat panel. I also insulated it and installed the headliner. The first headliner. Some asshole mouse decided to chew a hole into it last winter despite having a half a dozen already open easy access points to get up inside it. Replaced what needed replacing this summer. I hate mice.

I'm not using the supplied MDL reservoir. Cheap plastic parts don't belong on my car.:cool: I am going with a unit turned out of aluminum. It will just fit to the left (facing) of the master on the firewall. Also plan on making a hose for it out of stainless braided line to match my fuel, clutch and brake lines. I can send you info on it if interested.

Ken,

One of the very first things I did when I got the car back from media blasting was to Dynamat the underside of the roof. It is amazing the affect it had on the sound resonance across such a large flat panel. I also insulated it and installed the headliner. The first headliner. Some asshole mouse decided to chew a hole into it last winter despite having a half a dozen already open easy access points to get up inside it. Replaced what needed replacing this summer. I hate mice.

I'm not using the supplied MDL reservoir. Cheap plastic parts don't belong on my car.:cool: I am going with a unit turned out of aluminum. It will just fit to the left (facing) of the master on the firewall. Also plan on making a hose for it out of stainless braided line to match my fuel, clutch and brake lines. I can send you info on it if interested.

Pictures and info would be much appreciated. I am sloooooowwwly working on finishing up the boy's fastback. While he drove it daily for the last few years, it is now parked while he attends college. The clutch reservoir is one of several things on my list to change out.

Thanks, I will take a look. I would also be curious as to what you are doing to the hoses. I watched a couple of the Hose Candy videos, interesting but I am not sold on the product. I don't know that it looks that much better, and am worried that it will truly hold under pressure. Tell use what you plan to do.

No issue whatsoever with the product used in the Hose Candy line holding up under pressure. They use commercially available "clamps" made by Gates. They way they work they actually do a better job of evenly clamping a hose across the entire circumference and area of contact.

As far as appearance, it is like everything else. It's what you use and how you use it to get the best results. I think the Hose Candy hose wraps are gaudy myself. I just liked the concept. I sourced my own materials. I have some parts coming in this week to finish a few things up and then I can do my hose installations. I will post some more info and pics sometime likely next week. Stay tuned.

Back