• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Hot August Nights - Reno, NV

I went last year, and once a few years ago. It was a good time. I wouldn't really go to the cruise stuff at night, though. It's really gone downhill the last few years.

There's been a significant gang influx in the last 10 years, and there were even some riots (including a couple torched cars) something like 5-8yrs ago. Since then, attendence has been way down and the nighttime activities are shady if you wander into the wrong area. It's still a decent show during the day, but I know a lot of guys that used to go but won't after the riots and gang problems. I've been to better local shows than what I saw last year.

Interesting. I remember the riots and since then I felt it has been a lot better. The Police force was heavily increased after those years, and now they don't allow low-riders, etc. into the show.

I didn't go last year, but I've never felt unsafe up there. Then again, I never wander off the beaten path.

I'll be up there the 31-2 and the 7-9, anyone else going to be up there then?

"Meyer65" said:
The Police force was heavily increased after those years, and now they don't allow low-riders, etc. into the show.
Maybe they don't allow them into the show, but they're still around for the night cruise, and they stake out certain areas of town. I'm used to some of that kind of stuff because I grew up in a city that's had the highest murder rate per capita several times in the last 20 years. But some people aren't, and I'm sure it deters a lot of the middle-aged and older crowd that used to bring their cars.

There's still plenty of cars to see and things to do, but from a lot of the people I've known that used to go, it's not the same as it used to be.

I hear that. Living in New Orleans for 4 years, there's not a lot in Reno that scares me :)

Generally if you mind your own business and don't piss anyone off, you won't have any problems.

And hey, if it's my time, it's my time. I won't let that fear stop me from having a good time :pep

"Starfury" said:
it deters a lot of the middle-aged and older crowd that used to bring their cars.

I don't think so. They added 500 cars this year, and 500 4 years ago. They still sell out all 5500 spots over a year in advance, and that doesn't include the 5-10 thousand unregistered cars. There are a couple thousand people on the waiting list right now to get one of the spots. I don't think anyone is deterred, at all! Over 100,000 people visit the city during the week long show. All that gang activity was about 8 years ago, and they've done a very good job of keeping things under control since then.

SacBill and I are registered every year, and spend the week up there (we'll be at the Atlantis again this year). I have never heard of anyone having their cars messed with. I don't loose a wink of sleep at night, knowing that my car is parked amongst all the high dollar cars and watched over all night by the police. :nice

Hot August Nights is one of the biggest and most unique car events in the world. It's something everyone should experience at least once ... or year after year like Bill and I. LOL

"johnpro" said:
Hot August Nights is one of the biggest and most unique car events in the world. It's something everyone should experience at least once ... or year after year like Bill and I. LOL

I'm just there for the chix. :pep

Looks like jenn and myself are going to drive up the 4th to Reno and stay at friends place about 10 miles from there. We are to drive up the 4th, stay the 5th and drive home on the 6th. I have to see this madness once. I don't know yet but it's looking real good chance. :pep

The "rioting and torching of cars" occurred in the 90s. I attended my first HAN in 1999 and that was a couple of years after the whole rioting incident. Since then the show has been a huge success. In fact, you can't get into the show anymore unless you sign up at the prior year's show. We attended for three years in a row and the only problems we ever had were involving punks on the street downtown. The wives of the idiots that I attended with that year demanded that we stay downtown at the Silver Legacy. Big mistake. Friday and Saturday nights turned into a circus down there packed with gangsters from CA and drunks. If you cruised Sparks and/or cruised beteen the (then) MGM Grand, the Atlantis and the Peppermill on those nights, there were absolutely no problems and lots of fun for old folks. Nostalgia band concerts and lots of vendors. We dropped out thinking we could always go back later (wrong) and figuring that we'd done pretty much everything in the three years we attended.

Actually, you have to sign up by May of the preceding year now.

I'm with Ragtop, I've never had a problem up there. Nothing but good old-fashioned fun in the half dozen times I've been (so far) ;)

"Meyer65" said:
Actually, you have to sign up by May of the preceding year now.

That is correct. 2010 is already fully booked at this point and has been for couple months. The only way to register is to renew your spot on time, or get an invitation after being on the waiting list for a couple of years. The wait right now for new registrations is between 2 and 3 years.

David: That will be great! If you're there, give johnpro or me a call and we can direct you to our cruisin' spot. BTW, make sure you bring a couple of folding chairs with you!

Looks like we won't be able to make it this year. Jennifer could not get the time off. We are bummed, I am upset that her boss has a doctors appointment that day. :-(

Back