• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Hot August Nights

John:

Are you thinking of taking 99 to the Waterloo Rd (88) exit? If so, that might actually work. I have Mustang friends in Pioneer along 88, so I have a passing familiarity with the area. What time are you thinking of leaving Mo-town on Tuesday?

Regards, Jeff

The car is DONE and ready for HAN. :) Still have a few things to do.

I really didn't think it would be ready.

The only thing is that I swapped out my 7.25" rear for an 8". Now my exhaust hits the rear on big bumps. I will have to live with it for a while.

The only thing is that I swapped out my 7.25" rear for an 8". Now my exhaust hits the rear on big bumps. I will have to live with it for a while.
If it's any consolation, my exhaust hits my valance on big bumps... mostly when going through giant holes and jumping curbs :p Oh, and there's an indent in the shape of the axle in the trunk floor from bottoming it out a few too many times...

I think Jane is ready to rock and roll! Taking her to get the tires rotated and balanced tomorrow morning since they haven't been done in 25,000 miles or so.

Got the transmission squared away (it was leaking profusely), the oil pan hopefully squared away (it was leaking profusely), the valves adjusted and valve covers tightened (they were leaking profusely), and double checked all the torque specs on the suspension. I guess that's about the best I can do. Packing up the camping gear tomorrow and then I'm heading west! :)

Well it is HOT up here in Reno. It took us 5 1/2 hrs. from San Francisco. Tons of traffic near Sacto. and passed it. Normally it is a 3 1/2-4 hr drive. Bring water and sun block.

Another great event in the books! Hope you all made it home safe :) Thanks so much for all the fun and good times. Thanks also for all standing around watching me take my car apart, and for bringing me a metric compression tester LOL ;)

Really though, this has been the best event yet! I think it's a keeper. So I'll be back again next year!

Another great event in the books! Hope you all made it home safe :) Thanks so much for all the fun and good times. Thanks also for all standing around watching me take my car apart, and for bringing me a metric compression tester LOL ;)

Really though, this has been the best event yet! I think it's a keeper. So I'll be back again next year!

I think you owe the rest of us a story here Kelly!

It was nice meeting you Kelly. I did not get a chance to meet up with anyone else. But the 8 days I was there, went by way to fast.

I just posted about it in my blog earlier, but... basically, Jane is blowing blue smoke out of the driver's side exhaust in a pretty large volume. Not mosquito fogger levels, but enough that I can see it in my rearview mirrors. Must have screwed something up on the engine rebuild. Anyways, so we all figured we'd pull the plugs, find the fouled plug (because one has to be covered in oil if oil is getting into the exhaust), do a compression test to hopefully figure out the source (head gasket or top end valves/intake), maybe even fix it.

This of course mostly just translated into Bill, John, Don, and Ed standing around Jane's engine bay watching me do all the hard work ;) I pulled all of the plugs on the driver's side and surprise, surprise, all of them are exactly perfect with no oil on them at all. Interesting. So we figured we'd just do a compression test on all four cylinders but then the kit that Don had brought over was metric so... we didn't. Then I put that side back together, pulled the plugs on the other side (they were also fine), put THAT side back together, fired her up, and then it smoked from BOTH sides of the exhaust for the rest of the day. Resumed only smoking on driver's side the next day.

We put in some oil thickener stuff (Baer's??) to at least keep it from burning so much, then called it whatever. The engine is apparently still smoking, though not as much at idle anymore LOL. Whole experience was pretty entertaining, really.

Nice of those guys to stand around and give moral support. But truth be known they don't actually work on their own cars!!

Kelly:

Remember, we also talked about exhaust valve seals being the possible point of entry for oil in the exhaust stream without fouling spark plugs. The good news is that the seals can be replaced without removing the cylinder heads. Of course, if the valve guides are worn, (too much slop) new seals wont last long. Hoping for a simple solution!

Regards, Jeff

Yep yep, that is currently the leading theory I believe! I should have grabbed some more seals while I was at Summit but didn't know exactly what size I needed. At any rate, I've got a buddy who has a valve spring compressor so I should just be able to pull the rockers, pull the springs, slap some new seals on (Mel said to make sure the valve stem is lubricated when I do that?) and then reassemble and readjust. Will be a good time for me to check my valvetrain alignment too since I am actually not sure that my pushrods are the correct length now.

Valve guides are brand spanking new so if they have any slop the machine shop is going to have a real bad day when I get there to smack them around!

Did you have then knurl the inside of the guides?

That helps even on new guides to maintain a good fit.

Mel

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Yep yep, that is currently the leading theory I believe! I should have grabbed some more seals while I was at Summit but didn't know exactly what size I needed. At any rate, I've got a buddy who has a valve spring compressor so I should just be able to pull the rockers, pull the springs, slap some new seals on (Mel said to make sure the valve stem is lubricated when I do that?) and then reassemble and readjust. Will be a good time for me to check my valvetrain alignment too since I am actually not sure that my pushrods are the correct length now.

Valve guides are brand spanking new so if they have any slop the machine shop is going to have a real bad day when I get there to smack them around!

If you are going to change the springs while the heads are on the car you will need a special type of spring remover as well as a way to pressurize the cylinder to keep the valves from falling into the bore, but I am probably telling you something you already know.

Back