• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

How do I get these off of the steering column...? (pics)

70_Fastback

Hell Bent for Speed
277710.jpg

How do I remove those? Do I have to remove the ignition switch first? If so, how do I do that?

Last edited by a moderator:
a BFH? I was already to tell you until I saw the ignition switch is in the column..... I know how to get it out of a '95 F150, but I doubt they are the same. Is there a small hole in the underside of the ignistion? On the F150 you have to turn the key to Acc then insert a pick into the hole, the ignition will then slide out (but make sure the wheel is not in the "lock" position)

I did see a tiny little hole in the lower side, basically behind the where the turn signal switch goes with a little plunger. I tried pushing it but it didn't move. But that was in the "locked" position. I shall try other positions.

To refinish them. It will be a better job if they are out of the car. And to me that is a pretty noticeable area.

I figured that was what you were trying to do with your original inquiry. Instead of removing just those pieces, remove the whole column... easy enough job.... and then either tape off or remove the ignition cylinder and repaint the whole column. It'll come out much nicer.

Hint....

While the steering column is out, investigate ways to possibly shorten the length of the column/shaft. Not by much, but an inch or two will be barely noticeable. The extra room this creates for larger framed drivers is worth all of the trouble.

Thanks Dave. And could you give me a brief synopsis of "how to" remove the column...? On the other site, one person said something about removing the 2 screws from the bottom and the clamp and just slide the column out over the shaft...? Is that what you are referring to as well ?

Lookin at your pic, looks like its got about 8 bolting it to the Dash, then a couple at the firewall, disconnect rag joint and slide 'er out.

277710.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"daveSanborn" said:
Hint....

While the steering column is out, investigate ways to possibly shorten the length of the column/shaft. Not by much, but an inch or two will be barely noticeable. The extra room this creates for larger framed drivers is worth all of the trouble.

Ummm...doesn't shortening the column/shaft place the steering wheel closer to the floor, and thus decreasing the leg/thigh to wheel distance? I think you want to increase the length, not decrease it.

So if I understand what you are saying... You're stating that you wish you had a longer shaft - correct? :hmm

thus decreasing the leg/thigh to wheel distance? I think you want to increase the length, not decrease it.

At some point, yes, you're exactly right. If you move the steering wheel too far forward it will start to hit your knees. The trick is to move it forward just a little bit.... an inch or so.

"Midlife" said:
Ummm...doesn't shortening the column/shaft place the steering wheel closer to the floor, and thus decreasing the leg/thigh to wheel distance? I think you want to increase the length, not decrease it.

If the column is bolted to the uderside of the dash, how would shortening it move it closer to the floor? It would be closer to the dash (or further from the gut is what I assumed Dave meant).

It moves it closer to the pedal area of the floor. Since the column is at an angle, it will also be closer to the floor (straight down) as it moves closer to the dash.

Back