• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

How to install drip rail molding

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
I don't remember how and don't want to mess up Shag's perfect molding. Is there a trick? Do you start at a specific spot?

70_Fastback

Hell Bent for Speed
On my '70, IIRC, I started at the front leading edge; as the D.R. moulding is closed on that end. So I started it tight to the pinch weld and used a cloth folded over 4 times and a small rubber mallet and just tapped in every few inches working to the rear.

Then there is a stainless L shaped "coupler" that snaps over that D.R. moulding and the wing window "boomerang" piece - which you don't have. So this info may be useless.

I did mine, very carefully....Actually I made Sluggo do it in case it got damaged I could blame someone else....

Horseplay

I Don't Care. Do you?
Donator
I put mine on quite simply by lining it up and "popping" it as I went along with the palm of my hand. Turned out great without any dents, etc.

I honestly think it was one of the easier things I've done so far which is surprising given the reluctance and fear many people seem to have with this task. Prior to my installation I knew nothing about the "risks" of the job. Never underestimate the value of ignorance. Since I didn't know any better I guess it turned out as easy as I thought it was supposed to be!

mustangstofear

I NEVER use any tools when I do a install. One trick that works great is if you have removed the chrome trim, keep the driprail masked off. The more primer and paint plus all that clear makes it very difficult to snap it on. I like to start from the rear and work my way forward. Make sure you have someone hold the other end so you don't scratch your paint. Rich.

Drive Shag over to the painter and ask him to put it on....walk across the street to the 7-11 and get a slurpee, by the time you get back they will be on......

daveSanborn

The more primer and paint plus all that clear makes it very difficult to snap it on.

Very good point. I rarely remember to mask off the drip rail edge when painting and it sure as heck builds up a layer(s) of paint/clear, which in turn makes it more difficult to "snap" the drip rail chrome on.

I like to start from the rear and work my way forward.

Conversely, I've found it's better to start at the front and work my way rearward. if you start at the rear.... and don't position the trim at the "perfect" spot, it could lead to the front edge of the trim being too low and subsequently being too close to the top edge of the closed door. If you start at the front, you don't have that problem.

Lastly, if when trying to "snap" the trim onto the drip edge you come to a stubborn spot, do not "pound" the trim with the palm of your hand as it usually dents the cheap reproduction trim.

garner67

"Fast68back" said:
Drive Shag over to the painter and ask him to put it on....walk across the street to the 7-11 and get a slurpee, by the time you get back they will be on......

+1 I had my painter install my drip rail molding.

mustangstofear

The perfect spot is the curve in the rear, once it is set it will center the mldg. where it needs to be. Then simply work your way forward, or which ever way works best for you. Rich.