1. Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

I love it

Discussion in 'Politics, Guns, and a can of Whoop Ass!' started by blue65coupe, Sep 2, 2017.

1. rbohm

rbohm Active Member

i agee, lets hope that it is a trend. the problem is that students think they are still children and act as such, and they need to be treated like adults, and told t either live with what is going on, or leave, their choice. no more "safe places", no more giving in to students demands for what ever they demand. such as suggesting that administrators resign over what the students think is something racist. the students should be told to shut the fuck up and go back to class and get an education.

msell66 likes this.
  2. 3175375

3175375 Well-Known Member

Big babies

3. Horseplay

Horseplay Well-Known Member

This isn't about the students, thankfully or nothing would change. It's the parents who often fund the education that are calling BS. And sadly, most are not getting a useful education. The classes and majors at many of these "schools" are a joke.
    The best trend that is just getting going is kids looking to trades and such as an alternative. People keep talking about automation taking away the blue collar jobs but that has always been the way. What not enough realize is there are new jobs implementing and maintaining any sort of new automation. Someone builds and programs those robots. Someone designs and someone else installs that new tech. Yet someone else maintains it. It's kids walking out of those "institutions of higher learning" with their various worthless liberal arts type degrees that sit in their parents basements lamenting how the world has shit on them. Meanwhile their industrious counterparts who didn't shy away from those menial, blue collar roles that required getting their hands dirty are looking at brighter futures.

4. 3175375

Agreed. Schools have dropped trades. It is disgusting- when I was in middle school and high school I had the blessing of taking metal shop (made a tool tray, hammer n clamp I still have) and in high school - made a pair of jack stands that will hold 10000 lbs. we are losing our way

5. 6t6red

6t6red Well-Known Member

Ahhh. The good old days. I also took wood, metal and auto shop in my middle and high school days. I still have my wooden trough lamp that I made in middle school.

6. tarafied1

tarafied1 Well-Known Member

I am a result of skilled trades education. I took all the available wood and metal shop classes, drafting, small engine, etc in high school. I went to a two year vocational school and then did my apprenticeship at Caterpillar. I am currently a global Technical Service manager for a Fortune 500 company and I have no degree. I have had a few of our competitors and customers actually try to recruit me until I told them I don't have a degree. They wouldn't even consider me after that when they came to me in the first place. Anyway. Two of my boys are following that lead. One is a lead mechanic at a NTB in the Chicago area. The other is in a two year program for auto mechanics. The third is going for a Mechanical Engineering degree but I won't hold that against him!!! Anyway back to the original post, universities have always catered to liberal thinking. While some nonsense may get cut I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Horseplay

Craig, try to steer your boys into industrial technical applications positions. Nothing against auto mechanics but that field is brutally tough these days and certainly not the career opportunity it once was. Look no further than the strike in Chicagoland for perspective. Conversely, with the right skill sets (and more importantly, mind set and work ethic) one can write their own ticket in industry. Six figure incomes with lots of perks and benefits are not too difficult to attain. No degrees needed as you yourself found out. I tell every young guy I encounter to get their butts off to a local CC and get some welding courses under their belt!

8. 3175375

You basically need an Engineering degree to work on any of this stuff.
    My cousins middle son works for a company that makes field sprayers - huge ones. I think the one he showed me one that had a 100 foot swath - epic!

9. Horseplay

Degrees don't hurt but are not mandatory by any means. I know guys across the country without that do very well. Being able to actually do the job means more than having a piece of paper saying you spent $100k to listen to people tell you about something they themselves didn't/can't do in the real world.

10. 3175375

Concur my point is an Engineering degree teaches one the analytic approach- desired but not required

11. Mach1Mark

Mach1Mark Ramrod extraordinaire Donator

Ive met engineers in the past who omit their degrees from their resume if they wanted to be considered for a certain position and didn't want to hear that they were 'overqualified'. Not a bad strategy and it has its place. But if you haven't earned the degree you cant put it on your resume. Ive told my kids that once you earn your degree no one can take it from you especially my daughters.

12. 3175375

Concur. I spent my years prior to my degree building demolition derby cars. When I was 10, my friends n I built a tank. Those times helped me with my mechanical skills which has been instrumental in building the foundation of my engineering career.
    I have had several people tell me if I had not led the charge to fly a prototype Next Generation Jammer antenna, we may not have won the Program

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  13. Midlife

Midlife Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Haters.

14. 6t6red

6t6red Well-Known Member

Don't you have something you should be drinkin.:D

15. Midlife

Midlife Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Yes I do!

16. c6fastback

c6fastback Member

We have a great program out here for student in 11th and 12th grade at SnoIsle Skills center . Students are bused to the skills center in Everett for morning or afternoon classes in varying fields. .. diesel tech , welding , auto tech , machining , aerospace , cosmetology, nursing, .....
    My 17 year old son finished his junior year and is certified for big truck air brakes and electrical . This year they build a Diesel engine , many to chose from, and who knows what else .

17. msell66

msell66 Road Worthy

Did you just fall asleep in the middle of your thought?

18. janschutz

janschutz Corn Hauler

More like passed out.

19. 3175375

Just old n fat fingered the post. Lucky I wasn't running my grinder or table saw, otherwise I would have to become a shop teacher