• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

I need to rant about selling cars...ignore if you don't want to hear me bitch!

DeadStang

So I know the economy sucks, people aren't buying (many) toys, and this is a bad time of year. But I really do want to downsize, so I've got a couple of cars listed on my local CL. You never know who might be serious and looking (maybe some Aussie who has money--hey, I can dream can't I?).

Anyway, this guy writes me for my phone number last night. I don't list my number on my ad to kind of weed out the more serious people. [If they write me and don't ask me if I'll trade for their 1985 2x4 Chebby pick-up or their old 3-wheeler, I send my number and ask them to call me to discuss. From CL, most of the time, they are just tire-kickers and don't ever bother following up.] I replied and let him know I'd be home after 6pm...so he calls me and leaves a message at 5pm. OK. I call him back. He has NO IDEA which car I am returning his call about! So I try and describe my car, while he searches for my CL ad. I quickly get annoyed by this as I am calling him in San Diego on my dime and it is wasting my time and money...I am about to tell him to call me back when he finds my ad, when he finally located my photos and such.

Then, he doesn't even ask questions about my car, he asks me about my price. Something like, "for what you're asking, you must think a lot of your Mustang." WTF? He is responding to the ad, which clearly lists the F-ing price right in the title and in the description. If he thinks it's a rip off, why is he bothering me? I can pull any old number out of my a$$ and ask it for my car--it's my GD Mustang, right? I am kind of taken aback and told him that it's a pretty darned nice car, and if someone would bother to look at it, I think they would agree; further, very few fastbakcs show up for sale around me locally, and the cheaper cars around here tend to be the money-pit projects. He backed off, but I found the entire encounter to be very irritating and now I'm crabby.

I'm obviously not a good car seller. I like them and I only want them to go to people I like, for uses that I approve. Sigh. Maybe that's why I have so many of them and rarely succeed in selling one. And I also must be trying to rip people off and thinking my cars are worth their weight in gold.

OK, rant off.

Re: I need to rant about selling cars...ignore if you don't want to hear me bitc

We have a classified section..... its free to

I need to rant about selling cars...I want to hear you bitch!

I know where you are coming from. The last Ford that I sold I listed it on recycler.com. I kept getting calls low-balling the price that I was asking. I was not in a hurry to sell it, the SWMBO wanted it gone though. So I just held firm to my price, but I did start a little high and dropped it 200 dollars after a week. Got a call from a dude who wanted it, rode out with a buddy and bought it without even taking a test drive. So sometimes you do get lucky and things work out. But to add a footnote to the story, sometimes I can be too trusting. The dude gave me a check for my Ranger, but would bring the cash the next day. He not only brought the cash but some Vintage Mustang bumpers as well. fd

Re: I need to rant about selling cars...ignore if you don't want to hear me bitc

Lowlife Craigslisters are just part of "the cost of doing business."

"Fast68back" said:
We have a classified section..... its free to

Don't you mean "it's free too"?

"silverblueBP" said:
Don't you mean "it's free too"?

The second o is there, but I used a different color for effect, you probably can't see it...

In a way I am thankful to asses like this. Right now times are real bad with my business and my wife lost her job last feb.( thankfully that may change soon )
So the thought of selling my car has come up in conversation more than once.But the thought of having all these scumbags calling me has made me do all that I can to keep the Kar. So in a weird way I may be indebted to them. Hopefully I will be able to hold onto it and never have to deal with them .

Chin up Mike....you can do it!

Your sig pic reminded me a lot of mine a few years ago.

Mvc-012f.jpg

I had a guy like that when selling an enclosed trailer. Price and pics in the ad. He calls me up, asks me again about the price and says, "It must be a nice trailer." WTH?? I told him it was nice enough to get him to call and waited for a response. Conversation ended.

I hate to sell stuff too, but they are just trying to haggle. They are not sure how to do it. They think they are doing it well, but they just don't know how.

Mike, I thought about selling both cars since finances are tough here too. SWMBO said yesterday that she was a car girl and would miss either car. She also said, "Besides if you sell either car we would just have to replace them again and it would cost us more later to replace them."

When all this crap started with the "Other site" I told here in frustration we should sell both cars and do a 67 Camaro. She like Camaros too. We talked about it and she is willing to get rid of about 20 guns, but not the cars! :scar

So, I say if you have a fb, you should reconsider and just see if you can tough it out. Coupes are plentiful and can be replaced later. Even so, our coupe is safe where it is.

Mel

"guruatbol" said:
So, I say if you have a fb, you should reconsider and just see if you can tough it out. Coupes are plentiful and can be replaced later. Even so, our coupe is safe where it is.

Mel

To be honest, I am crabbier about selling the '65 FB than the other car I have for sale. Having the '65 is kind of my link to when I first got into Mustangs... I have much less of an attachment to the other car, but it's harder to sell.

At this point, I am very fortunate that no one in the household has lost a job and we aren't under any major financial crisis (beyond the usual). Perhaps this is why I can be so critical of the CL bozos. I am just wanting to focus more on fewer cars, and also to decrease my storage space.

You have to admit that some of the sellers on CL as well as many of the buyers on CL are bozos!

Hehehehe

Mel

I have the same crap from my listing. I had a gut from Orlando call me and ask what I would take. I said my price is listed, he needs to make an offer if he feels the need. He offered a real low number. I told him a counter offer and he says in a loud voice....."That is higher than your asking price". I said your offer was stupid so I thought I would follow suit.....call ended.

I had a 19 year old girl want me to finance it 100% because she worked as a dispatcher for a sheriffs office.

I had one call spend 45 mins. on the phone only to say no thanks.....I hung up.

The offers to trade crap for the car are really out there too.

I sold 4 trailers and a few odds and ends on CL over the last 18 months with no major problems at all. It all seems to come up over cars.

I am concluding as time goes by that people are stupid in general. If you've ever worked with the public in retail or something along those lines you'd have to agree.

Part of the problem right now is the market must be pretty tough. I've seen Mustangs spending a long time on the local Craig's List. Several years ago if one got listed it was gone much faster. I figure people think they can low ball you if the market is bad.

We moved into our house about two years ago and then started fixing up the old house. I had several scum bags stop by uninvited and try to pull the whole "the markets tough..." lie of crap when I was fixing up the old house. The house market here is still ok but they would try to fear monger you into being interested in their low ball non-sense. I got the old house fixed up and had it sold in 7 days after the sign was in the yard, but there are always scum bags around looking to take advantage.

Yeah, I also have noticed over the past several months--Mustangs that I would expect to sell immediately, languish on CL. I think I've adjusted down :cry my prices to reflect the crappy economic climate, but who knows. Since I "shop" on CL, I must be a bozo, too! Oh well.

The problem I've noticed is a lot of people think if you have something for sale right now that you're desperate to sell because we're in a crappy economy. In your case where this isn't true you'll probably have to put up with a few low life's responding to your ads before you find someone who's truly interested.

"6T6mustang" said:
The problem I've noticed is a lot of people think if you have something for sale right now that you're desperate to sell because we're in a crappy economy. In your case where this isn't true you'll probably have to put up with a few low life's responding to your ads before you find someone who's truly interested.

Long time no see! Hope life is treating you well and your Mustangs are staying dry. :coo

Back