• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Ignition Switch Revealed- Update

I almost posted here to ask if an ignition switch is repairable, and if so, what to expect inside. Since I have a new switch which refuses to mate with the old connector, even after removing all of the plastic surrounding the male pins, I decided to sacrifice it and see what's inside:

Here's the switch after carefully bending back the pot-metal tabs which hold the plastic base in place:
switch1.jpg

Base plate removed, showing contacts for each pin and the two "rotating" contacts:
switch2.jpg

Close-up of the two "rotating" contacts; these are spring loaded: "boing" alert:
switch3.jpg

After the "boinging" stops and all the little bits have been collected again:
switch4.jpg

Close-up of the rotating base. This is what your key cylinder rotates. You can see the spring which returns the switch to "Run" from the "Start" position":
switch5.jpg

Inside the metal housing:
switch6.jpg

Everything:
switch7.jpg

Now I will try to open up my old switch to see why it is giving me an intermittant contact.

Update:
I did the old switch this morning, here is a photo of the contact surfaces:
switch8.jpg

Cleaned it up, got it back together and it works. Time will tell if the intermittancy is corrected...

Re: Ignition Switch Revealed

Now the key is: To reassemble without any parts leftover!!! :lol

I'm sure it will all fit back in if I smash it hard enough. The tough part will be putting the smoke back in; electrical things need smoke to operate properly, if the smoke gets out, they stop working...

The hard part will be in bending the tabs back on the housing. Good luck!

I applauld you! I took my neutral safety switch apart when it quit working and fixed it. Saved a ton of money on buying a new one.

"Midlife" said:

Slipjoint pliers work well for this, the angle of the jaws fold the tabs back over.
The trick is getting the proper pressure on them to make the switch work smoothly. My wiper switch fell out on the floor and had to repair it and now it works just fine.

"Midlife" said:
No bending required just use jbweld or great stuff...it will better than new!!! :vic

Back