• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

I'm being sued ??(Update) Dismissed!!

Re: I'm being sued ?? Advise Please!! (Update)

In the Very Grumpy Old Farts Lounge, you need to PM a Mod for the pass word. then you must supply Midlife with a new un-used Sheep :sur :ep

"Grabber70Mach" said:
then you must supply Midlife with a new un-used Sheep :sur :ep
Is that where virgin wool comes from???

this is almost like identity theft.
Just read this thread to my husband who is an atty. The best thing you could do IHO is to get your insurance involved. IF there was a premium raise, it would be nothing compared to the cost of an atty. You have to look at it as .. whats going to be your out of pocket expense if you can't find an atty to take it on contingency. Good luck.

other than that... :nta

I called my insurance company today, and their position is that there has been no claim against my policy so there is nothing they can do for me.
Though I do not like mixing work with personal issues, I bit the bullet and asked the boss if he would mind if I asked the company lawyer for advise, not sure why I worried, they were very accommodating. So I took her advise and called the plaintiffs lawyer and explained my position and the obvious mistake shown on my documentation, he asked that I mail a copy to him along with a letter stating my position, and also mail it to the 4 other lawyers involved, and to be sure to show up for the pre-trial on the 21st to stand before the Judge and present the letter written by the officer, He said that the Judge will more than likely dismiss me. I hope he is right!

Thanks,
Dave.

"68bucks" said:
I called my insurance company today, and their position is that there has been no claim against my policy so there is nothing they can do for me.

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have been sued!!!! What more do the idiots at your insurance company need to open a claim???? Put your demand for a defense in writing and request that they respond in writing. If you get nailed on this one, you will be in a stronger position if you end up having to go after your own carrier for bad faith and breach of contract.

"JeffTepper" said:
WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have been sued!!!! What more do the idiots at your insurance company need to open a claim???? Put your demand for a defense in writing and request that they respond in writing. If you get nailed on this one, you will be in a stronger position if you end up having to go after your own carrier for bad faith and breach of contract.

I was actually making the insurance part of the post a "long story short". They also informed me that they were not my insurance co. on 12/8/08. I didn't sign on with them until 12/22/08 (Go figure) I actually forgot the fact that I didn't have insurance on my car on the 8th until I spoke with them yesterday and it dawned on me. So I guess they really have no obligation to represent me. Quite frankly, I'm an idiot for not having my car insured for three months before 12/22/08! I thought the $300+ fine I recieved for not having it would have been enough punishment!

Well I had my day in court and it went quite well. I showed up early and was able to talk to the Judge before anyone else showed up, and go over my evidence and explain my "Statement". He then had time to review it before the Conference. A big plus in my opinion!
Long story short, when we were all together and ready to start the conference, he started off with asking the attorneys if they realized that I was here because of a mistake, and although he could not tell them to dismiss me, he recommended that they all drop their suits against me. They all agreed and told me I will see a letter in the mail in a few days stating my dismissal from the case.
If nothing else it was an experience and quite educational, I just hope I never have to go through it again!

Thanks for everyone's help!
Dave.

"68bucks" said:
Well I had my day in court and it went quite well. I showed up early and was able to talk to the Judge before anyone else showed up, and go over my evidence and explain my "Statement". He then had time to review it before the Conference. A big plus in my opinion!
Long story short, when we were all together and ready to start the conference, he started off with asking the attorneys if they realized that I was here because of a mistake, and although he could not tell them to dismiss me, he recommended that they all drop their suits against me. They all agreed and told me I will see a letter in the mail in a few days stating my dismissal from the case.
If nothing else it was an experience and quite educational, I just hope I never have to go through it again!

Thanks for everyone's help!
Dave.

Gotta love the US legal system?

I'm happy to hear everything was sorted out, but that ordeal sure was a time intensive hassle.

i would have asked those lawyers to go ahead & attach a check to the letter to cover your time & expenses in dealing with their mistake & see the look on their faces.

Well, I am glad it all worked out well. I knew no attorney on your part would be needed.

I am happy for you. the legal system is not to be feared. Lawyers want you to be scared of it so you will hire them. They do nothing for you that you can not do for yourself. Sometimes you need them because they study all the laws and may know where to look in the law books to find you an out, or some precedence you need to mitigate your case, or some procedure you may not be aware of.

All these schmucks put their pants on the same way everyone else does. Use common sense and tact and you can do almost everything for yourself that a lawyer can do for you at huge costs.

Anyway, this is awesome news!

Mel

It was actually entertaining! The hardest part for me was finding a parking spot in Downtown Baltimore during rush hour!

The judge seemed irritated by the fact that I had to be there.

He was irritated that three of the lawyers present were unprepared.

The judge seemed irritated that one of the lawyers mistaked him for a court appointed mediator, that was kind of funny!

The fourth lawyer present was the oldest in the bunch and obviously the most experienced, was prepared, and the only one not suing me, and he made that perfectly clear on more than one occasion.

The judge was irritated by the fact that the fifth lawyer, the one that actually called for this conference didn't show up.
Funny part about this is this lawyer's office is like 3 blocks from the court house, but yet we find out that he drove out of the city to the wrong court house in the county. Unbelievable!! (I was a little concerned about the absent lawyer not dismissing me, but the judge assured me that he would take care of it when he did show. I'm pretty sure he was in for a reaming!)

So the only thing resolved in their case is the fact that I didn't belong in it, and the judge seeming happy with my presentation (Documentation, ect.) was just a bonus!

Dave.

Glad it all worked out, but I'd still be pissed having wasted my time and money on a false accusation :rp

"silverblueBP" said:
Glad it all worked out, but I'd still be pissed having wasted my time and money on a false accusation :rp

You spend a lot of time being :rp

I've heard that will make your ears grow.

"apollard" said:
You spend a lot of time being :rp

I've heard that will make your ears grow.

Hmmmmm, never put those 2 together :ep I wonder if it's reversible?

"silverblueBP" said:

Ya, it does piss me off a little, but I'm just glad to be out of it!
I will just chalk it up to a educational experiance!

Back