• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

I'm in Australia Mates!

tarafied1

I am in Melbourne for a couple weeks for work. It's freezing down here!!!
staying across the street from the Flinders Street Station
11800469_10204805813610754_8296629687683027713_n.jpg

Oz is one of the few places in the world that I would like to visit.
Places I would like to visit: A- must speak English, B- must speak English. ;)

fd

I have been to a lot of countries that English is not the native language and I find most people are very accommodating to Americans. I try not to be that obnoxious American so that helps. In many countries where English is not the native language it is still widely accepted as the language spoken between foreigners. For example, in the Middle East, the Arabs don't like to do anything so the people who do all the work are from many different countries, almost everyone speaks English since there are so many Nationalities. I found it very easy to get around not speaking any Arabic. In Brazil I can speak a little Portuguese, enough to get in trouble but in the bigger city they speak some English so again I can get by. Asia is the most difficult, like Thailand and China, but Korea is no problem either. I was in the subway looking very confused at the map and a Korean man came up to me in perfect Emglish and asked me where I was trying to go and told me what lines I needed to take.

Very cool. Sux to be away from home, but traveling the world for your job has it's perks.

Very cool. Sux to be away from home, but traveling the world for your job has it's perks.
well, yes guess so. took about 24 hours travel time to get here and time zones are almost opposite so I am a little whacked. Should be able to do some sight seeing this weekend though. In a factory the rest of the time so it doesn't really matter where you are!

Are you gonna have some "shrimp on tha bahbe"?
Ya knew somebody had to go there when you posted you were "down under"...right?! LOL

Enjoy your trip Craig. Australia is one of the few places I had a chance to visit many years ago and didn't. I regret it to this day!

Remember no free soda refills!!! You'll be saying "No Worries" in no time, and eat lots of great seafood.

My favorite thing was driving on the wrong side if the road and using my left hand to shift.

Sounds like an adventure, enjoy your time there.

From Infinity and beyond

Never Argue With A Moron– They Will Drag You Down To Their Level, Then Beat You With Experience

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

SCEDD should be there !! Try to contact him.
Regarding the english language , you americans don't have a clou how easy it is for you all to travel.

SCEDD should be there !! Try to contact him.
Regarding the english language , you americans don't have a clou how easy it is for you all to travel.

Sure we do. BTW, all people on this cosmic soccer ball should learn english as a first language. Why? BECAUSE .....that's why :p

Craig, I hope you enjoyed your visit to OZ. As you will have worked out by now its a big place and everywhere is a long way apart. Where i live, an hour north of Brisbane is a 30 hour drive to Melbourne and its only 2 states away.
I didnt see this post as i am away in the Bowen Basin Coal Mines where its a balmy 27C (80F) in the middle of winter.
And their prawns here, not shrimp.

I have figured out that shrimp are called prawns, as well as a few other words not commonly shared between the states and Oz.
In fact even words we share are sometimes difficult to understand!
I have moved to Sydney from Melbourne but will return to Austrslia around October and might get to the Brisbane area.
Flying home today (or tomorrow for you Yanks)

Back