• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

I'm no longer a Virgin!

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
Today, I used a HVLP paint gun for the first time. I bought a cheap touch-up gun for touch-up work (duh!), and bought a regulator/pressure gauge at the input of the gun. I was very surprised how little overspray there was and how close I had to be to apply a decent coat of paint.

I had to re-do one of my seat rails on the undercarriage, as the previous attempt had epoxy primer too thin, and a bit of surface rust was forming. Sanded it down to bare metal and sprayed. Should be good as new now.

Did you ever see my paint pics, over at the "other" site ? I bought the el-cheapo HVLP gun from harbor freight and painted, striped and cleat coated my valance and stone guard. Turned out beautifully!

i was super happy with it. But then again, I've never pulled the trigger on a $1K paint gun.

never pulled the trigger on a $1K paint gun.

I've got a few HVLP guns.... (six?) of various quality. One of my buddies here runs a very large auto collision center and usually has 15-20 cars undergoing insurance repairs on any given day. He's loaned me one his "top shelf" guns before that he purportedly paid $900 for. The only differences I could tell between my cheaper quality guns and his nice gun were the finer adjustment ranges, the quality feel to the trigger mechanism, and the quality of the internals. When disassembling his gun for cleaning, the internals appeared more "rugged" and "quality craftsmanship" was evident. I suppose this is responsible for the higher price tag as a professional could be using a gun all day long, every day, whereas you and I would likely be painting only a few times a year.

What I'm kinda excited about are the guns with the swivel cup on them. I want one! The swivel feature allows the gun to be held and paint to be sprayed at extreme angles.... such as when working under a car..... point the gun straight up and simply rotate the cup upwards as you do so.... ingenius!

A swiveling cup would have been nice to have. I couldn't get close enough without pointing up at a 45* to paint the side of the seat frame rail, and the paint showed a bit of orange peel because of it. Neat idea!

I was surprised that I had to get about 3-4" from the surface to get a decent coverage. What I didn't like was that the amount of paint applied was so small that it was only with a good light that I could see where I had painted!

I was surprised that I had to get about 3-4" from the surface to get a decent coverage. What I didn't like was that the amount of paint applied was so small that it was only with a good light that I could see where I had painted!

What kind of HVLP touch up gun was this? Was it a real small one?.....

Can you post a link/picture of the gun from the manufacturers website?

If ya'll pester Sluggo enough maybe he can work out a group buy. I think he posted once on the VMF about a potential group buy, or maybe it was another member and I'm just gonna clog up sluggos PM box, either way....I'm happy.....

I have the base model Finishline guns and a PPS cup system and they work great. That's what I used to paint Trouble's undercarriage and repaint the engine bay.

Glad to hear you got time to try out the gun. Sounds like all went pretty good with it.

"daveSanborn" said:

What kind of HVLP touch up gun was this? Was it a real small one?.....

Can you post a link/picture of the gun from the manufacturers website?

It's made in China: Leonardo ATD-6910.
sjdiscounttools_2013_240582107

By the post subject I thought Craig dropped the soap. :naughty

That 1MM nozzle tip is limiting the amount of paint from the gun. I don't believe you experienced anything unusual, that's just how the touch-up gun works.... small amount of paint, small pattern, up close type work.

Back