• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Interior Carpet

Johnny M

I have lowered my seat pans by 2" and i have heard that fitting the Mustang molded carpet will be a pain...Has anyone tried this?

Can the carpet be heated and remolded?

Is there any other options for carpet? generic?

Regards,

Johnny

I did not lower my seat pans (wish i had), but what I did was turn the carpet over and use a heat gun (lightly) on the BOTTOM, this allows it to be molded easier. Do not heat the carpet side as it will discolor the carpet. If you have a carpet steam cleaner for the house, that will work as well. Most say lay the carpet in the sun for a while. That works, but not to the degree that the heat gun works.

Here is Jeremy's install http://www.stangfix.com/testforum/index.php/topic,1115.0.html

I've got some pics somewhere of mine before I heated it up and after, I'll have to dig them up....

daveSanborn

fitting the Mustang molded carpet will be a pain...

Not really Johnny.

The factory carpet comes in two large pieces. A front piece and a rear piece. The split/joint for these two pieces is on the forward section of the seat pans. Since the carpet is split where it is, the carpet easily fits to the lowered seat pans. You shouldn't really have any problems getting the carpet to snugly fit a little lower onto the seat pans.

If you're using a "one-piece" carpet, yes, it's molded differently and is more difficult to fit snugly around the lowered seat pans.

Here are a couple shots of mine, like I said, I found it a LOT easier to mold the carpet once I warmed it up. You can see the glue loosening up with the heat gun, it become much more pliable, then the glue will harden again once its in place.

2_07_02_09_4_34_59_3.JPG

2_07_02_09_4_34_59_4.JPG