• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Interior lights don't work

Felix

I'm looking for someone in my area (Mt Holly, NJ 08060) who might be able to diagnose and fix the interior lights. All the other electrics work, signals, headlights, horn, wipers, etc.

Thanks for your reply. The fuses look good but I'm going to the auto store to pick up a test light. I'll know more later this evening.

Bad fuse, cut wire, or bad headlight switch. Power derives from the fuse box, then goes to the headlight switch and then to the door jambs where the green/yellow wires transfers voltage to the black/blue wires (courtesy lights).

looks like a blown fuse, I'm going to the store today to try and find a new one. Thanks for the help.

looks like a blown fuse, I'm going to the store today to try and find a new one. Thanks for the help.
Fuses blow for a reason. Try to find it. I'm guessing (and likely correctly) that there are some corroded points of contact in the circuit that are to blame. This can cause arcing which can create an overdraw of current which will exceed the fuse rating. The most common point would be in the fuse block itself. Take a minute to clean them up. A women's fingernail fine emery board works well to clean up the fuse holder contacts. You should also take out each of the bulbs and see how they look as well. Corrosion on them is common too.

Before installing a new fuse make sure you don't have a direct short to ground as well. Your tester you bought is adequate for this.

I couldn't find the fuses today but I'll find some tomorrow. Good advice about the clean up of the fuse box; ugh it was nasty. I use some electrical contact cleaner and the emory board so not the contacts look really good.

Back