• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

ISO Friendly Solvent

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
For the past 2 months, I have been dealing with a case of numb and tingling fingers in my left hand (I'm left-handed), which was originally diagnosed as a pinched nerve and muscle spasms in my neck, due to extremely sudden and intense onset. Since then, I've been going to physical therapy, and I've gotten much better, but my first two finger tips are still numb.

On a lark, I googled the neurological impacts of using lacquer thinner. Most of it deals with huffing the stuff, rather than skin exposure. It turns out the possible symptoms are: numbness and tingling. I've been using LT for cleaning the wiring harnesses, about once a week. The month prior to the onset of tingling was intense, and I believe I did 8 harnesses that month. My therapist said to avoid LT for two weeks and see what happens. Has anyone experienced prolonged exposure to LT?

I've tried just about everything in my inventory to remove crap on the harnesses, and only LT works on the tough stuff: tape residue, the stuff that was sprayed on the firewall, and the occasional paint. I've tried wax/grease remover, mineral spirits, acetone, alcohol, goof-off, 3M adhesive remover, but none work nearly as well as LT. I use Formula 409 for general dust and dirt, and that seems OK.

I have two choices for the long run: find another, more user-friendly solvent, or use gloves. My nitrile gloves break easily when exposed to LT, so the sturdier kitchen gloves seem the more obvious solution.

Anyone have recommendations for a solvent that I can use with semi-prolonged direct skin content? When cleaning the wires, I use the wiping rag to enhance the feel for insulation breaks --- thus the desire to work glove-free.

When I was still working in the wood shop, I would spend hours cleaning all the paint guns with LT, also used it to clean contact cement off of the laminated cabinets and c-tops, never had any of THOSE symptoms, but I'm sure it's fried more then a few of my brain cells!

Have you tried MEK (Methol Ethyl Ketone) or High Flash Naptha?

yhst-37005479795125_2059_16438899

You have a name/model number for those gloves?

Yes, mineral spirits does not work well, and leaves a filmy residue.

"cmayna" said:
http://www.uline.com/BL_974/Chemical-Resistant-Nitrile-Gloves

I have always used blue gloves when working in the solvent tank. It will last much longer as compared to the regular ones.
Ha! I just ordered cardboard boxes from Uline, and I had not dealt with this company previously. They sent me their catalog, and there's a lot of good stuff in there, including nitrile gloves anywhere from 2-16 mil thicknesses. Time for another order!

Has anyone experienced prolonged exposure to LT?

Yes. When doing body work, I buy LT in the 5 gallon cans. If I remember correctly, I went through about 20 gallons doing the last car (mine). I'd use it to wash my hands and anything else with primer/paint on it. After awhile, my finger tips would be dead numb. These symptoms normally disappeared after an hour or so though.

Have you tried cleaning products such as "Fast Orange"? I've used it before with success to clean grime off of wire bundles.

Yes, I've tried Orange Go-Jo and others of that ilk. It also leaves a slimy film on the wires. Laurie likes using that stuff, but I find it picks up dirt and dust too easily with the remnant film.

To remove the "remnant film", could the wires be wiped down with a de-natured alcohol? I'm sure it's a lot less toxic than LT/MEK.

The one solvent I haven't tried is gasoline...whaddya think? Will it remove rattle-can paint?

"Midlife" said:
The one solvent I haven't tried is gasoline...whaddya think? Will it remove rattle-can paint?

Let me know when you are going to try that AND have your smoke.......

"daveSanborn" said:
To remove the "remnant film", could the wires be wiped down with a de-natured alcohol? I'm sure it's a lot less toxic than LT/MEK.

You have to wipe the cleaner off well. I never see any dust clinging to the harnesses in my coupe.

Randy, you say you use LT to clean the wiring & harnesses with. When I used LT to start cleaning up the front headlight wires, etc - I found the LT would remove the colored stripes on the wire when I was cleaning off over-spray, etc.

Do you not run into this as well? Just curious.

"70_Fastback" said:
Randy, you say you use LT to clean the wiring & harnesses with. When I used LT to start cleaning up the front headlight wires, etc - I found the LT would remove the colored stripes on the wire when I was cleaning off over-spray, etc.

Do you not run into this as well? Just curious.

I do, particularly if you are aggressive in the cleaning of the wires. I try and leave at least one end clearly marked with the stripe. It seems like the wires were painted rather than having the stripe impregnated during manufacture. It's not that big of a problem under the dash, but if you are going concours where the wires can be seen, I'd recommend some other, less aggressive, solvent.

Back