• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

It use to be shiney chrome

Kats66Pny

I have a Ford Racing air filter and the top part looks to have been painted a silver to cover up rust. If I flip it over and look at the underside of it, you can see LOTS of rust and you can still some some shiney chrome. Is there a good way to remove the dull silver paint and rust from it? I don't have any specialized stuff like a sand blaster or anything. Best I have is a dremel and lots of attachements.

I can only guess it will never been as shiney and good looking as it was when it was new, but I was thinking of getting some cheap rattle can "chrome" paint just to try make it look better until I can afford to get a new shiney one.

I've found that trying to make something look chrome is a bad idea. Since it is probably beyond salvaging the chrome, the best thing (IMO) would be to use a "brillo" pad or steel wool to smooth it enough for paint. A satin color would be cool (again IMO), I have seen many engines with satin black valve covers and air filtler...
edl-1223_w.jpg

just a thought

I was out in the garage messing around and to see what was under the paint. We have shine! Sort of. Is it possible to use some product like evaporust and soak it in it to remove rust on this thing and then buff it really good? Or do you think it's too far gone to save and just go with repaint?

What diameter air cleaner are you looking for? I have a couple out in the garage that I'm not using anymore, and I'd be happy to donate one of them to ya.

Ha, I just gave away a 13" air cleaner....real shiny.......you gotta speak up girl.....

"scedd" said:
you really are asking for trouble with questions like that around here

:lol :lol :lol Sicko

Ha, I just gave away a 13" air cleaner....real shiny.......you gotta speak up girl.....
Darnit! I didn't even really think about until the other day when we were messing around with the carb and the guy pointed out it was painted.

"Kats66Pny" said:
Its a 13" one. Got one in that size?

I did some quick digging last night, and couldn't find anything. Too stinkin' hot to spend too much time out there. I'll try and do some more scavenging this weekend!!

Just to reiterate...a new one delivered can be had for about $20 from Summit or others. For one of the people on here to find one and ship it to her would only save what $10-12?! If money is that tight, grab a can of spray paint and have at it.

Besides, I still say the very first money spent on this project needs to be to properly secure that battery anyway. Then you have a brake issue to figure out...

In all honesty, it would really be beneficial for you, Kat, to sit down and make a list of what HAS to be fixed, What could/should be fixed/improved. And lastly what you would like to upgrade. Prioritize and put a cost to everything and develop a budget and game plan. The less project funds you have, the more important it is to map a course.

That's why I said no rush .. not a top priority. :craz I was only messing with it because the carb is off and was bored and looking for something to tinker with that I can't break or mess up until the carb can be put on.

As for the battery, I'm not going to properly secure it in the trunk because the plan is to move it back to the engine bay, but before that can be done, I have to repair the rusted out/battery acid eaten bottom of the apron where the battery use to be.

IMG_3882.jpg

Last Friday when I was talking to the Ford guy who has tons of 65/66 parts, we discussed fixing it and I mentioned I have no welding tools and he said I don't need them. He told me a way to replace the apron without welding it.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Kats66Pny" said:
Last Friday when I was talking to the Ford guy who has tons of 65/66 parts, we discussed fixing it and I mentioned I have no welding tools and he said I don't need them. He told me a way to replace the apron without welding it.

And how would that be exactly? :scar

I hear you. The point I wanted to make was that you really need to completely assess the total project. Put a cost to it. Put a time frame to it. So you can clearly see what you have ahead of you.

"Kats66Pny" said:
That's why I said no rush .. not a top priority. :craz I was only messing with it because the carb is off and was bored and looking for something to tinker with that I can't break or mess up until the carb can be put on.

As for the battery, I'm not going to properly secure it in the trunk because the plan is to move it back to the engine bay, but before that can be done, I have to repair the rusted out/battery acid eaten bottom of the apron where the battery use to be.

IMG_3882.jpg

I am curious as to how he's going to repair it without welding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something about bolting it in and covering the seams with some stuff that is used to put together newer vettes/camero's. He did it to a section in his 66 stang and showed me where it was.

"Kats66Pny" said:
Something about bolting it in and covering the seams with some stuff that is used to put together newer vettes/camero's. He did it to a section in his 66 stang and showed me where it was.

Yeah...I wouldn't think that the way to go. It sounds like maybe some panel adhesive and seam sealer "technique".

The replacement panel isn't much at all (either way you have to buy one)and the labor to weld it wouldn't be too bad either. Do it right and forget about it.

Back