• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

It's alive

66gt350

Last night, I finally was able to crank up Moostang's 65 coupe after going crazy trying to find the mystery ticking on her old 289. I ended up finding a 302 shortblock that just needed the crank ground, and just have the cylinders re-honed. Got the motor rebuilt and new tranny stuffed in, the old engine was the original 5-bolt bellhousing. It took a bit of cranking to get it to fire, but it finally started, and I notice that I now have an exhaust leak on the passenger side to fix...I really do love headers... And a ticking noise appeared. Crap -- Here I go again with a ticking noise. But this one was different from the busted piston skirt. I yank the valve covers to readjust the valves. When I get to number 6...it's loose. I guess I forgot to tighten the setscrew on the polylock. Put the valve covers back on, and the ticking went away!! Now just to take care of the exhaust leak and temp gauge, and it'll be back on the road.

Back