• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Johnny M - E-car build tread

Johnny M

I thought I would start a build tread to keep all you E-car fans happy. Some of you already know how the story goes but for those that don’t here is the long and short of it.

I decided I wanted a Vintage Mustang 3-4 years ago so I went about researching it, I liked the 67-68 fastback the most but couldn't believe the price of these old rusted out cars. Mind you, it was a the peak of the Unique performance/Eleanor craze....My biggest problem was not finding the car but finding someone that would hold a car for me for 6-8 weeks until I got over to the US even with 8-10 other people knocking on their door with cash. So I eventually found a car in NC with a small garage called Piedmont Mustang. It was a 67 FB in need of a moderate amount of metal work. Duane went and checked it out for me, sent me pictures, it looked good and I took the plunge...I agreed with this guy that he would do all the metal work, media blast it and get it rolling on new suspension ready for shipping…I paid him for most of the parts and 50% of the labour up front…Unfortunately the guy decided to expand his “operation� half way through my build....he wasn't able to manage the additional staff/costs and went bust...he stopped answering his phone and I thought I had lost everything but with the help Duane again I managed to salvage my parts and my car from his place and get everything into a container heading across the Atlantic. So I was left with a half baked metal job and a project with a lot of parts missing and not to mention I lost $6k and took a huge dent in my motivation for the project but I had to move on. Thankfully I am making progress and the project is back on track.

A few thing I have learnt/realised so far when it comes to building one of these cars.…
Budgets and mustangs(especially E-cars) are two words that should never be used in the same sentence
Dead lines, see above
Chrome parts have a magical power over me. Even when I cant afford to buy them I do.
Building a vintage American muscle car in Ireland is a PITA. No garages, parts suppliers, help etc
Whenever people ask “when is she going to be ready� just say “Don’t worry I’ll take you for a ride when its finished�
Don’t rush into things…I have made a few costly mistakes already. (I have a 9� rear and 2 x 4 spd top loaders that are of little use to me)

I have probably posted some of these pics before but I wanted to start a dedicated build tread as I have actually starting doing some building…..

This is her as I bought her.
Pic193.jpg

Pic192.jpg

Johnnys67FB028.jpg

Getting her home
DSC00639.jpg

DSC00641.jpg

The 428
DSC00677.jpg

FG mock Up
DSC00676.jpg

On the Rotisserie I built
DSC01169.jpg

Back off the rotisserie for front metal work
DSC01284.jpg

Last weekend removing the old shock towers, radiator support and cross member. I found some nasty rust on the passenger side cross member. Glad now I decided to replace it.

DSC01283-1.jpg

All the old metal gone ready to start welding back on.
DSC01285.jpg

I am now waiting for a big shipment of parts to come in. NPD, Rod and customs and Scott drake all love me now. I have them all shipped to PA where we have container coming over every few months with work stuff. It saves me a huge amount on shipping, taxes and duty but I pay heavily with time!!! They are leaving PA in a container on Wednesday and should be with me in 5-6 weeks.

Amongst all the parts I have ordered the following sheet metal which should keep me busy for a while.
Front Mustang II Cross Member
2 x rear quarter panel patches.
2 x Trunk corners
Radiator support with new cross member attached
Rear quarter panel bracket.
Passenger side toe pan patch
Passenger side Torque box
Apron assembly

So once I get all this new metal on there I can start treating the underside of the car and look at FG fitment.

As always any tips, advise or blatantly pointing out when I am being a dumb ass is greatly appreciated.

More to follow....

Last edited by a moderator:
The container has landed on Irish soil....Woooo Hooooo... I just hope the customs dont hold on to it for too long...Shopping list below...

Hood Hinges
Hood Bumpers
Hood Bumper Support
Radiator To Hood Seal
Cowel To Hood Seal
Windshield Wiper Blade
Windshield Wiper Arm
Windshield Wiper Pivot Leather
Dimmer Switch Cover
Dimmer Switch
Headliner
Glove Box Door Bumper
Glove Box Door Button
Glove Box Liner
Ignition Switch Bezel
Ignition Switch
Headlight Switch Bezel
Headlight Switch
Headlight Switch Knob
Emergency Brake Assembly
Visor Arms w/Bbrackets
Visor Tips
Arm Rests
Arm Rests Mounting Kit
Door QTR Seal Screws
Door Bumper Kit
Door Glass Lower Stop
Door Handle Shaft Left
Door Handle Shaft Right
Door Handles Outer
Door Handle Inner
Door Scuff Plates (back of Handle)
Door Hinge Upper LH
Door Hinge Upper RH
Door Hinge Lower LH
Door Hinge Lower RH
Door Jam Switch
Door Latch LH
Door Latch RH
Door Latch Rod Retainers
Door Latch Screws
Door Lock Knob
Door Lock Rod Left
Door Lock Knob Grommit
Door Lock Rod Right
Door Striker w/shims
Door To Window Seal
Door/Ignition/Trunk Lock Cylinders
Vent Window Handles
Vent Windows Front Rubber
Door Water Shield
Trunk Latch
Trunk Hinges
Trunk Lid Bumpers
Trunk Lock Assy
Trunk Stem Ext
Rear Valance Inst Kit
Rear Bumper Brackets

CJ PONY PARTS
Rear Quarter Bracket

Ebay
Remote Trunk release kit

NPD Order 1
MASTER BODY ASSY
PLUG AND GROMMET
MASTER INTERIOR KIT
TORQUE BOX, COUPE
FIREWALL EXTENSION
INNER FENDER, FRONT,
RADIATOR SUPPORT,
LOWER REAR CORNER
QUARTER REPAIR
CORNER, TRUNK TO
CORNER, TRUNK TO

Rod and Customs
Front Cross Member
Motor Mount Kit
Oil Pan
Shock Tower Replacement panels (pair)

NPD Order 2
WINDSHIELD PILLAR
WINDSHIELD PILLAR
DASH PAD, BLACK,
NAMEPLATE, *GT-500*
BRACKET, REARVIEW
MIRROR, INSIDE, DAY
SLIDER, SIDE VENT,
COAT HOOK SET,
PANEL, QUARTER TRIM
KICK PANEL SPEAKER
GRILLE SET, QUARTER
BOW SET, HEADLINER,
TRIM MOLDING, DASH
WINDSHEILD
TANK ASSY FUEL REPRO 22 GALLON W DRAIN PLUG

A small update...

I spent last night removing a big chunk of the passenger side rear quater. The car had taken a knock at some stage, there were lots of pin holes at the bottom of the quater with some creasing but the rest was good. The Trunk corner was bad and the quater bracket was crumbled after the crash so i decided to change them out too.

IMG_0178.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg

Now I just need to get our welder for a few days to work on my car. He's been busy lately. I can weld but I'd rather leave it to the professionals.

I got the doors mounted on my own but need to get some help at the weekend to get them lined up...And then the fun part of getting the whole front end lined up begins.....

IMG_0219.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0220.jpg

I finally managed to get our welder for a full day. We got a good bit done and it feels great to be making some decent progress.

Got the Mustang II front crossmember and the sway bar brackets welded in.

DSC01359.jpg

DSC01346.jpg

DSC01350.jpg

Welded panels over the rear light slots, fuel filler and key holes.
DSC01358.jpg

I had to remove the brackets for the cross member of the rollcage...and thankfully i did, the weld had not even taken to the metal, completely useless. I shortened the strusts for the roll cage and welded them in..

DSC01356.jpg

I am using the Procar Rally seats so i have lowered the floor pans by 2" and i am moving them back by 2". got one done today.

DSC01357.jpg

I found these panels for the inner fenders. I think i am going to buy a set...I feel it will take some of the pain out of trying to align the inner fenders. I can tack them in place then drill the holes for the outer fenders afterwards once everything is aligned.

DSC02297.jpg

DSC02299.jpg

I also had my bodyshop guy come over and have a look...he is going to spend a few hours in the next few weeks checking the alignment of the whole car and help get that rear passenger side quater back in.

That's all for now...

Johnny

Its a holiday weekend here so heading out to see Fleetwood Mac tomorrow night and out in Dublin afterwards...Wooo Hoooo...

What are you and Nick using for tail lights? You both filled the original holes. I had to cut out my tail panel to fit the Cougar lights between the fiberglass and trunk... I know there are LED lights but still need some room in there don't you?
picture300kn4.jpg

I have the LED kit and they take up very little room, I'll have to drill holes for te cable...and beleive me i did not take inspiration from Nick..... :barf

"abrahamfh" said:
+1 those welds look outstanding

Yea, that's why I leave very important welds like these to the experts...I'm lucky that we have a full time welder that I can utilize when things are quiet..

didn't mean to imply your car was anything like Nick's, just noticed you both filled the tail light holes. Doesn't the LED use a fiberglass bucket like the Cougar light?

Johnny,

Great days worth of work!

How were you able to determine the placement of the "cut to fit" engine mounts? With my kit I had to hang the engine into position and mock up the mounts before cutting them and welding them into position. Did R&C have the mounts already welded onto the crossmember for you?

Good news: The welds look spectacular.

Bad news: The front sway bar brackets are welded on backwards. The "L" should face inboard, not outboard. They will not work in their current position and will have to be cut off and re-done. To prove this to yourself, hold the kit provided sway bar up to the "L" brackets and you'll see what I'm talking about.

DSC01350.jpg

My kit install is pictured below..... notice the sway bar mounts.

3_07_09_08_7_04_15_2.JPG

Have fun in Dublin!

Back