• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Joining "the other" Grabber Orange gang....

"RustyRed" said:
So maybe there in lies the problem...how fast could this dude turn around. Maybe you should have punched it instead.

Just kidding.

Sorry for the sidejack Dave

Back in 87, i had just repainted my 84GT, no exhaust on yet and decided to drive it to work. On my way home, there is a stretch of Hwy 100 that is divided 4 lanes between Daytona and Bunnell (Florida) and it's 3 miles long. There were no cars in any direction, so I decided to open her up. WOT....3rd gear, change into 4th and then I see the front of an LTD Trooper car off in the distance lift up. I looked at the speedo and it was at 100 and climbing. The sheer terror that went through my brain is indescribable.

In that split second I thought, I can outrun him and lose him in the back roads (that I knew very well), but I realized I probably couldn't outrun his radio! I lifted off the throttle, pulled over to the side, got out and leaned against the car with my hands away from my body. Must have been a couple of minutes before he finally pulled up behind me. I was scared shitless at this point, knowing I was going to jail (insert ko67 joke here).

He got out of the car and I realized this was one big cop :ep He walked up to me with his right hand on his pistol and politely asked me WTF I was doing driving that fast.
I told him I had just repainted, fixed my car and wanted to make sure it was not going to overheat anymore (all the true) and that no one was on the road so I thought I'd wind her up.

There was more chitchat from the LEO, telling me how wrong I was and such, of which I politely nodded yes, I know. Then he starts asking me what the top end was, how did it handle in the turns, etc.....
He was waiting for his Trooper Mustang to arrive and was anxious to find out what it could do.

He said he clocked me at 100 mph, but the last reading on the radar was 70, so that's what he would write me up for. I was never so thankful to only get a ticket in my life. I was seconds from being Bubba's cellmate, but ended up only attending a class and paying a fine. Can't remember what it was, didn't matter anyway!

Hadn't thought about that day for a long time until this thread.

I also have NC experience with speeding tickets of the type that could have you walking for a month; well, not actually me since I'm much too mature for that type behavior, it was my son...

In his case he was stopped outside FT. Benning GA doing 73 in a 55; foolishly- lawyer's word- he paid the fine in GA. A couple weeks later he received his notice from NC that he was to surrender his license. We talked with a couple of lawyers who said had he sought their counsel, first- imagine that- they could have gotten it reduced; fees for this miracle ran between $500-$1000, plus fine and court costs. However, since the fine had been paid- admission of guilt- it would be much more expensive for them to represent him. He had the option to plead his case to a DMV officer, which he took. Showed up alone (in uniform of course), was asked a few questions, and retained his license. It goes without saying that the DMV officer was fully aware of his good driving record before they talked.

Traffic school is not an option if you have a commercial license.

Now that being said, before that law came into affect, I went to traffic school in CA almost every year. I couldn't get my foot out of it. Anyway, one year I went four times in four counties. Nobody caught it because of the different computer systems. Now that will just not happen.

I even got the nasygram from DMV about my license being pulled. After TS I kept my license and ended up with one ticket in my record.

OK, a year and a half ago I got a ticket in the bus in CO. It was for 78 in a 65. The bus was governed to 72. I thought WTF? I sent the computer printout to an attorney that showed my max speed that day was 72. He went to the DA and the DA said, "your client was speeding anyway, it doesn't matter if the officer was wrong." They kept the fine the same and dropped it to an equipment violation. I paid the attorney and the county in CO and was out of there for around $500. I have nothing on my record and no traffic school. It was going to cost me a couple days off work to fight it, the fine and gas to CO. I figured with meals and motel rooms, I might get out of there for around $900 if I did it myself. So I got off cheaper.

I found an attorney online via some service for traffic attorneys. Just got it on Google. This saved my butt!

Good luck and keep us informed.

Mel

Dave, I feel for ya bud. Keep us informed of the situation. No matter what everyone says it all different for each person.
good luck.

Something for the slow learners, or those unable to resist, to consider. A guy from the local Mustang club has one of those "Prepaid Legal Services" you always hear about. He puts his ticket(s) in the mail and forgets about them (his words)...

"stump" said:
Something for the slow learners, or those unable to resist, to consider. A guy from the local Mustang club has one of those "Prepaid Legal Services" you always hear about. He puts his ticket(s) in the mail and forgets about them (his words)...

Wow. I'd never attempt that. Too much room for error there. Hope he doesn't use the USPS.

"blue65coupe" said:
Wow. I'd never attempt that. Too much room for error there. Hope he doesn't use the USPS.

I guess if you receive so many tickets that you need a law office on retainer, you don't have much to lose...

I've only got a seconds before I have to chauffeur the wife home for lunch, but an update.....

I talked to an attorney.... at this point, screw him. He wants $150 for me to plead guilty and use my prayer for judgement. I can stand in front of the judge and do the same thing for nothing.

I talked to my insurance company about a "guy in the office". Using my driving record as an example (which they pulled up for me), as long as the fine is reduced to under 10MPH over the speed limit it will not effect my insurance rates. The insurance rates are what I'm most concerned about.

I have an appt. with the DA's office this afternoon, wish me luck and I'll let you all know later today how good/bad that turns out.

Good luck. DA will probably move it to less than 10 over but there are a plenty of attorneys that can get it to improper equipment. How much over were you going?

"Midlife" said:
I say we change the MBBIII to a "visit Dave in da house"...

A trip to the bean house? Hmmm.....maybe we could do one of those scared straight episodes.

Back