• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Junk in the trunk?

RapidRabbit

Donator
So what do you guys keep in the trunk for road trips?

I am putting together my power tour emergency kit.
Here's what I'm thinking. Maybe over thinking.

-Spare tire and jack
-Tool kit.
-Code reader for EFI
-Battery jump starter
-Jumper cables
-Fire extinguisher
-Extra Fuses and relays
-Coolant and oil
-Brake and PS fluid
-Extra Drive belt
-Radiator hoses
-Duct tape
-Zip ties, lots of them!

What else?

Last edited:
Since my car might be lucky to have 50 miles logged prior I am bringing the kitchen sink! On top of some stuff on your list I intend to bring,

1. spare parts: starter solenoid, relays (I have multiple types throughout the system) and spare relay board, extra ecm for lock/alarm, wire and associated stuff, fuel pump, temp and oil pressure and O2 sensors, bottle jack, hose clamps
2. tool kit: yeah, it will be very complete. Meter, LED flashlight(s), battery jump pack

I've built in multiple hidden storage areas (seat delete tray, for example) where I can stash the stuff out of site but handy. All the spare electronic parts and sensors are all small so bringing everything. This is the kind of stuff that fails typically and I am NOT driving, for example, without knowing my engine temp. Hell, I'm even thinking of having a spare EFI unit. The thought of my car stranded on the side of the road or worse, towed to someone else for repair keeps me up at night!

I almost forgot about spare relays. I have four for the EFI system. And I'll add a starter solenoid to the list. I have a couple extra already.

I'm kind of thinking the same thing. This will be the longest trip the car will take and stuck on the side of the road is not where I want to be.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Lessee...very little room left, as Jimmy Hoffa, D.B. Cooper, and Judge Crater are stuffed back there...

Maybe an extra spark plug or two, some wire (as in you need to support a tailpipe after the support failed), some gas tank repair putty, transmission fluid, p/s fluid, brake fluid . . .

Maybe I should.

I tried to wake the beast up from hibernation today and she wouldn't start! Just a lot of clicking. Grrrrrr.

Well I am in no way an expert on what to bring but I can share some of my experiences. For example, in 2015 I hit an alligator (truck tire recap that blew off and right in front of me!). It broke the hard line brake line on the rear axle. I limped it to a parking lot. I have a small scissor jack that fits under the car which sits low. I used the spare tire as kind of a jack stand so if it fell I would die a slow painful death instead of quickly. I also carry the basic hand tools which fortunately included line wrenches.
Besides the stuff Pat listed I also carry a small bottle of brake fluid. I carry a gallon of water in an antifreeze jug. I use VR1 oil so I carry two quarts of that and a quart of type F trans fluid in case they are hard to find. I carry a roll of shop towel paper towels and hand cleaner. I carry a small piece of carpet to lay on. Lots of zip ties (which Pat mentioned but bring a lot!). I carry tire plugs and plug tools. I have a jump box which includes an air compressor.
As was mentioned also cleaning supplies. It will rain and the car will get dirty and bug guts and so on. I rainX my windshield.
I used to carry lots of spare parts but never used them. So I quit. We travel in a group so I have had to take a ride to a parts store (to get brake line and fittings). If you don't have AC, bring a hand towel. Sometime in traffic with no breeze it gets pretty hot. People sweat. Vinyl seats? Bring a beach towel. Seat gets hot sitting in the venue.
Small flashlight is handy. I bring a couple funnels. For oil and trans but also gas tank. One city I was in the gas pumps kept auto shutting off. I put the funnel in and pumped away!
In the 6 or so Power Tours I have had pretty good luck most of the time. Once the trans broke and nothing could fix that on the side of the road! Most everything else I have encountered, if I didn't have what I needed someone else did and they freely offer to help. As a matter of fact, don't pull off to the shoulder to go pee because 13 cars will stop to see if you need help!
Most things can be dealt with in the hotel that night but if not we pass plenty of parts stores. we dod not do a lot of interstate runs so you will pass parts stores and you will see cars on the tour in the lots getting worked on.
If it's real serious, GM has the Motor Medics. A group who can torch, weld, drill, straighten, etc and they have lifts, jacks, breaker bars, and so on. These guys are at each venue. If you can't get to the venue most likely someone has a support truck and trailer on the tour. Word will be spread and you will get rescued. I've seen it happen!
It's good to be prepared but I guarantee the thing that happens, you will have most likely not prepared for! Don't stress too much. We will be following you or you us and we will exchange numbers. We won't leave you behind!

Great info Craig.

One comfort I have is that I know with that many car guys around someone will help if needed.

I'll add brake fluid and lots more zip ties to the list. The carpet too.

At least my seats are white so the don't get too hot, but with no ac I'll still be sweating when sitting still.

And I do not want anyone stopping to help me pee! Good tip.

Well I have some bad news. I took the 67 into Bowling Green today to run some errands. It was hot today so I figured it would be a good test. I recently made a run to Atlanta and back with no issues but that was highway driving and 70+ degree weather.
Anyway, running around in stop and go traffic and sitting at traffic lights the trans temp gauge started to climb. I ignored it because I proved to myself it wasn't accurate. After some time the trans began to smell like burnt clutches and was making some weird noises. My son's car had issue simultaneously. He was over on another side of town for school and had gone to lunch with classmates. Car stalled and flooded out. I did get over to pick him and his buddies up and get them back to class. I let the car cool down and then drove it home. It did fine at highway speeds.
But I am not taking it on the power tour. I am not risking getting stranded again. I just don't have time to get the 5 speed installed before the tour either. I will be out of town every week right up to the time we need to leave. I would have a few weekends to work on it and I might go ahead and start pulling it apart to see how far I can get but I am not driving it with the C6 in there.

That sucks. Man you've been having some bad luck.

So are you still going with the other cars or just skipping it all together this year?

Back