• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Junkyard cougar

RapidRabbit

Donator
I went picking through a local wrecking yard yesterday.

I came across this 80s cougar XR7. It looked surprisingly original. Thought it might make a cool sleeper car, but they wouldn't sell it to me.

ea48ca4e78bf301b4fb079379fc16179.jpg
89a9fda1226c1f97aceac322ead08893.jpg
c6af869dcfc3816b677c8da9791a3a51.jpg
14864aaa5147f73c6568ca597f96ca0a.jpg
256b31e1a104cba61745e9c11dbe3258.jpg
8a8dc16acc51a2f844105d7a6d318a6d.jpg

I always liked the 80s Lincoln mk 7 too. Very similar body style. I'm sure but many would agree, but my dad liked them.

It has no engine or trans but the rear end is there and the engine bay really was solid too. It was surprising how much of the trim and the compete interior was there. I really wanted it.

yeah I see why. it does look "too nice" to be in the yard. I dig that 80's upholstery though! Orange plaid? It looks clean. I think you could use all the interior in a fox body Mustang, that would be wild!

Four or five years ago we almost bought my wife a Mustang II because it had a very similar orange and black houndstooth ish interior and she really liked the interior more than the car itself.

Last edited:
when I was growing up I really didn't like all those colors and stuff but I see it now and think it's kind of cool. My son has triggered some of those feelings. he is into the weird neglected stuff from the 70's

His bobcat makes we want something funky and unique.

I hate to say it, but everybody's got a mustang.

no I agree. He has got me thinking about weird and funky cars too. I am tempted to get a Pinto or a Maverick, Granada, Fairmont, etc

Dude. That's an ugly car anyway you look at it. 80s four-wheeled box sedans are very hard to find "cool". BUT....as time passes some get better looking or nostalgia makes the old eyes see things differently.

How about this one. Little known even then but time has worked in its favor, I think.

dodge-mirada-01.jpg

That's the idea.

Something like this.
d437a98adc4d99d39939f05868369cfb.jpg
I did not think those were ugly! I had an 83 T-Bird which they looked a lot alike. Still based on the Fox platform so have lots of aftermarket support.
Terry the Chrysler thing is kinda cool in a "it's so ugly its cool" way like the Cougar. But I agree it is better looking than the Cougar. Looks more like the late 70"s T-Birds which I didn't like when they were new but being based on the Torino they could be fun now too.
fullsize

Dude. That's an ugly car anyway you look at it. 80s four-wheeled box sedans are very hard to find "cool". BUT....as time passes some get better looking or nostalgia makes the old eyes see things differently.

How about this one. Little known even then but time has worked in its favor, I think.

View attachment 30041
Dodge Magnum?

Talk about kooky combinations. My parents had a 62 Corvair station wagon. It had a white headliner, black n green speckled carpet, tan dash, and tan plaid-ish upholstery. Sprinkled amongst the upholstery and door panels were chrome buttons about 5//16" in diameter

Dodge Magnum?
Mirada. I saw one out of the corner of my eye in a parking lot the other day. Didn't remember it from back in its day. Struck me as kinda cool looking in a weird 80s way. It was used in Nascar at some point hence the laid back grill work, I guess.

You guys have completely lost your minds. You need to go drive your Mustangs and laugh at all the dummies driving boxy 80s cars. Ok, Terry has a pass since he can't actually drive his.

You guys have completely lost your minds. You need to go drive your Mustangs and laugh at all the dummies driving boxy 80s cars. Ok, Terry has a pass since he can't actually drive his.
Well...I can now sit in it in comfort and make "vroom, vrooom" noises! That's pretty close.

going for a ride in my son's Bobcat soon... he has hooked up all his gauges
dash.jpg

Lost my mind long ago

Problem is that Mustang parts are cheap, most other cars, not so much. Sure there's some interchangeability, but one bad part unique to that model can make for a ton of hunting. I know that's the appeal to some, but I prefer working on it to searching for parts.

If only I had the time to work on it.

Back