• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Just got a 68' mustang!

Hello all, I am 18 and I just purchased a 1968 mustang coupe! I paid $400 for it. My first line of action was to get that 200cid inline 6 going. I'm having some electrical issues. First off. I bought a new solenoid and a starter. I threw in a new battery. Now I have power going to the starter but it is constant power! Even when the ignition is off. Do I have a faulty solenoid? I tried switching posts and nothing changed. My mustang is equiped with electronic ignition also. Another question I have is that my ignition switch just turns spins right around in the dash and it is annoying lol. How is this secured in the dash? Also, a good wiring diagram would benefit me! Thank you!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

It sounds like you might have a PO created mess on your hands. You need to see if you have power going to the small post on the solenoid that would cause the coil to draw in. If the solenoid is new I would bet you have power there all the time. Likely an issue with your ignition switch. To enable us to help you, how about posting some pictures of the wiring.
You can find all the wiring diagrams you could ever want on the internet or better yet, invest in some good hard copies and a shop manual for your car.

One quick thing to Add... The reason I said it might be a faulty solenoid is because I took both the ignition and stsrter wire off of the 2 smaller posts... It still sent current straight to the starter regardless of the position of the key. Should I try tapping it a few times to see if it may be stuck?

If you had no wires on either of the small posts but voltage on the large post leading to the starter, yes, the solenoid is stuck in the engaged position.

Okay! Thank you! I should also add that this car started on the key about 3 years ago according to the salvage yard

Okay! Thank you! I should also add that this car started on the key about 3 years ago according to the salvage yard
Sure it did. lol
Get some wiring diagrams and identify and trace wires. Post some pics. The guys here can help you sort it all out. Mid in particular. You might save a ton of effort/time/money/working with him to replace parts of the harness etc. as well.

With the two smaller wires off the starter solenoid, only the battery post should be hot with voltage. Change your starter solenoid after changing your shorts.

also to answer one of your questions, about the ignition switch, the dash will have a notch in a cup like thing and the switch a raised "boss". This is what keeps the switch from spinning. Switch pictured below, you can see the raised boss in the casting on the threaded end. In the second and third pictures you can see the cup like thing inside the hole on the dash where the switch goes. If yours is broken they are reproduced.

install-ISA3-2c.jpg

install-ISA3-2b.jpg

also to answer one of your questions, about the ignition switch, the dash will have a notch in a cup like thing and the switch a raised "boss". This is what keeps the switch from spinning. Switch pictured below, you can see the raised boss in the casting on the threaded end. In the second and third pictures you can see the cup like thing inside the hole on the dash where the switch goes. If yours is broken they are reproduced.

install-ISA3-2c.jpg

install-ISA3-2b.jpg
Thank you!

Got a new starter and solenoid. I got the ol 200cid inline 6 going. But unfortunately I had to jump it from the large post to the starter post on the solenoid. I have igniton power to the solenoid but I can jot figure out why I am not getting power to the starter post on the solenoid. Those schematics dont download on my phone properly. I know the wire going to the starter post leads back to the main disconnect but I dont know where it goes from there. I will post pictures in a bit. Thank you guys!

Is this Mustang an automatic transmission? If so, the gear shift selector may need adjustment as the car will start only in Park or Neutral. If misaligned or the wires are cut, then the car won't start.

If manual transmission, then your problem indicates a wiring issue. The neutral safety switch must be bypassed.

Its got a c4 automatic. I dont think it is that switch. It just be by passe because when I first HotWired it, it cranked right over and I noticed it was in gear!!! Good thing it didnt pop right off on the first crank!

Hotwiring the ignition will occur even if the NSS is engaged, so that would be expected. Try jiggling the shifter as you turn the key to CRANK; I'll bet you can start it then.

Back