• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Just looking at engine/trans

While at his place, I got to see his project. I don't remember what engine it is, but it's enormous! It's in a '65 FalconView attachment 31523
03-04 Cobra motor 4.6.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd love to hear the "several pieces" that I'll be needing;) Oh, which Mustang II did you use Kb3? Is a sway bar necessary with the MII front end?

Are you going to keep the fuel injection setup on it? If so there are several more pieces you will need. Happy to share thoughts/answer questions as they come up.

I'd love to hear the "several pieces" that I'll be needing;) Oh, which Mustang II did you use Kb3? Is a sway bar necessary with the MII front end?

Don't be scared off when we start telling you all the things you need to get/change in order to run FI. It is well worth it in the long run. It appears you have a great start with the engine and T5 trans. Now you need to do a bit of research on the actual FI setup. You should have most of the sensors on the engine already as well as the fuel injectors and a workable harness. Albeit that harness has quite a few wires that won't be used in a classic Mustang. There are several aftermarket companies that build Mustang/Bronco specific harnesses that take out the unnecessary wires. They are a bit pricey, but may well be worth it in the long run. I used one that was custom made by an individual, but he has since sold the product to Ron Francis https://www.ronfrancis.com/prodinfo.asp?number=TDZ-75 You will need to get a couple of O2 sensors for the exhaust and you should almost be good to go with regards to the harness and ignition.

You will need to change your fuel system. You need a high pressure fuel pump to run fuel injection. There are both in-tank and outside of tank options on the market, so take a look around and ask questions. Since it is a "return style" fuel system, you will also need to run another fuel line back to the tank. Both Pat (RapidRabbit) and I were newbies when we started our projects and we were both successful first time around, so it really is not rocket science.

As for the front suspension on mine, I used TCI https://totalcostinvolved.com/products/1964-1970-ford-mustang-pro-touring-ifs/ After quite a bit of research, I felt they were the best suited for my needs. I also used their torque arm rear suspension https://totalcostinvolved.com/products/1964-5-1970-mustang-torque-arm/

Their kit comes with sway bars, as for necessary, I don't know but I do like the way it rides and handles!

When it comes to the fuel tank and pump set-up you can't beat the folks at TanksInc.com. Not only top quality but very economical compared to most. Their tanks are all powdercoated and the EFI tanks are baffled as well. They sell Walbro pumps. All top notch stuff. This is what I used (See my build thread for details).

Areomotive just came out with a new efi thank that has built in pump and uses the stock under tank fuel line locations if you don't want to run feelings into the trunk.

I would definitely recommend an in tank pump. I went external and now I'm switching to internal pump. Should have done it from the start.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-18197

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

That's not a bad deal, Pat. A little more money but not the hundreds more everyone had been over Tanksinc. The fuel rate is a tad lower (200 lph vs 255 lph) but on a semi-stock 302 should be adequate. I do like the stock line connection point. The Tanks unit is on top of the tank in the trunk. You have to route them out through the lower sheetmetal so by the time you buy those fittings and hoses things are pretty equal cost wise.

They also have a 340lph version for about $60 more. And summit always has coupons too. Right now they have $50 off. So it comes in at about $440.

I like that it's all ready to drop in, and no extra plumbing in the trunk.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Omg, thank you all, kb3, RapidR, and Terry! I'll be taking my time on this build, so I'll be here a while back on the Stangfix, it's really nice to be back;) I need to sell a couple motorcycles and would really like to sell my 59 Chevy truck(Gary doesn't want me to), which would help finance a little of this build. Gary wouldn't have a problem with the money part, but taking my time will be nice and spread out the spending, yall wouldn't know that? lol kidding;) I'm rather anxious to pull those claustrophobic shock/spring towers out; they just smother a pretty engine;)

Back