• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Just ordered a 331 short block from Fordstrokers.com!!!

Well.. after comparing rebuild costs of my 302 with the cost of sourcing a Do It Yourself 331 short block from Fordstrokers.com, I took the plunge and ordered one for the 65. ETA is about a month.

Here will be my config:

Displacement: 331 CI
Heads: Trick Flow 170 (2.02/1.6)
Compression: roughly 10:1
Cam: Trick Flow stage 2
Fuel/Intake: Trick flow street heat, 30# injectors, 75mm throttle body, 80mm MAF
Drive train: T5z, 9" diff with 3.89 gears and a TrueTrac LSD

I'm hoping it goes like stink!

I think I'm about to get a crash course in 20 year old Ford fuel injection technology.

-Shannon

Congrats! You picked a great supplier for your short block. I'm sure you'll be happy.

68EFIvert,

Don't you run something similar? For some reason I remember you sporting a 331 with a Trick Flow intake.

-Shannon

Shannon,

I'm fairly similar to your setup. I hope you like to drive fast.

347 stroker with ported/polished GT40 heads (your heads are better!)
E303 cam
BBK SSI with 30# injectors, 75MM TB and 80MM MAF
T-5, 9" with 3.50 TracLoc

Start reading up on your EFI conversion and hit us up for any questions along the way. I was dumb as a deer in the headlights when I first entertained the idea of swapping to EFI, but now that it's all said and done it was really no great task. Mostly just "fear of the unknown".

"daveSanborn" said:
Shannon,

I'm fairly similar to your setup. I hope you like to drive fast.

347 stroker with ported/polished GT40 heads (your heads are better!)
E303 cam
BBK SSI with 30# injectors, 75MM TB and 80MM MAF
T-5, 9" with 3.50 TracLoc

Start reading up on your EFI conversion and hit us up for any questions along the way. I was dumb as a deer in the headlights when I first entertained the idea of swapping to EFI, but now that it's all said and done it was really no great task. Mostly just "fear of the unknown".

Sweet! Yeah, I've got lots of questions. Especially about the tuning aspect of this.

How do you like your BBK Intake?

I'm probably going to have to make a custom strut bar to fit that big a$$ TF intake. It's really a lot bigger than I want it to be.

Thanks,
-s

"LastDeadLast" said:
68EFIvert,

Don't you run something similar? For some reason I remember you sporting a 331 with a Trick Flow intake.

-Shannon

There are some things that are very close on our engines. I have a 333 with Trick Flow FAC 190 heads. I also have a Trick Flow Track Heat Intake. The biggest differences are I am running a blower, custom cam and boss block. I have a thread about the details and problems I ran across on my engine. I recently had it tuned and put out 554 rwhp.

You will love your engine. Trick Flow makes some quality products. I agree with Dave about converting to EFI. Not that bad and now that a few other of us have done it you should be able to learn from our mistakes.

How do you like your BBK Intake?

It's the only intake I've used so I don't know any better.

I lucked out when I first commited myself to switching to EFI. I was on eBay one day and found a seller out in Texas who had the NIB full BBK kit (with the TB), NIB Idle Air Control valve, roller motor Ford distributor, EFI harness with stock 19# injectors, NIB Ron Morris EFI fuel sending unit for a classic Mustang, NIB Ford EFI fuel pump, NIB Ron Morris lower radiator pipe, and a bunch of other "conversion goodies". The seller had planned on switching his classic Mustang over to EFI and had gathered a lot of good parts.... and then decided to change direction and stay carbuerated. I paid just under $700 for everything, which was less than the price of the BBK kit from Summit.

I have heard nothing but great things about Jim over at fordstrokers...I think that you will be very happy!

thanks for the great info. i am collecting a lot of research for my build. ive heard a lot about fordstrokers .

do you ming me asking how much it set you back?

Fordrule,

Sorry I forgot all about your question. I paid almost exactly $2400 for this:

http://www.fordstrokers.com/diy-liberator-short-blocks/331-347-diy-liberator-short-blocks.html

That price includes shipping, a billet flywheel and harmonic balancer (balanced with the rotating assembly) and a Trick Flow stage two cam. He was able to save me a few bucks on those parts from buying them from Summit Racing.

Lead time is 4-6 weeks, so I have 2-4 weeks of waiting time... :craz

-Shannon

"fordrule" said:
did you just get the stroker kit or did you also get the bottom end package

No, I didn't since I already had most of the parts that's included in the bottom end kit.

"daveSanborn" said:
That engine is going to be VERY similar to mine... and you're going to LOVE it!

Cool! I think I've seen a video of your ride.. that thing is sick!

-Shannon

Looky what came in the mail today!!!!

Freshly milled roller block:

normal_2010-10-15_-_EngineBlock_001.jpg

normal_2010-10-15_-_EngineBlock_002.jpg

Canton road racing oil pan:

normal_2010-10-15_-_EngineBlock_003.jpg

Holley Systemax II Intake:

normal_2010-10-15_-_EngineBlock_004.jpg

Trick Flow 170 heads:

normal_2010-10-15_-_EngineBlock_005.jpg

normal_2010-10-15_-_EngineBlock_006.jpg

Along with the above junk, I've got a Trick Flow Stage 2 cam (224 int./232 exh.@050), #30 Injectors, Acufab 75mm throttle body,80MM MAF. She should be hitting about 10.3:1 CR.

I can't wait to start on the build.. hopefully in the next month or so.

-Shannon

Yeah I've spoken to Jim (Woody) several times to figure out the right combo. He's a real nice guy and very, very helpful.

I'd recommend fordstrokers.com to anyone looking to get a new mill.

-Shannon

Wow, very nice.

I'm still waiting to blow up my motor so I can give those guys some money. Damn thing just keeps on going and going, year after year.

Back