• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Kevin Marti report helped find original "Bullitt"??

A friend of mine belongs to the Bullitt forum and she attends gatherings all over the country with her fourth gen. Bullitt. At first I thought you were going to say the McQueen look alike drove off with the '68 clone and never returned. I suppose that, since he was the guy that Ford had used, that wasn't an option for him.;) Another Mustang pal of mine from Castro Valley, owns a Highland Green '68 J code that was used in a documentary about the two American icons (Corvette and Mustang). They photographed his car all over the City along the route of the chase scene. He even got some lines, but the narrator said that it was identical to the Bullitt car. If you ignore the fact that the Bullitt cars were S codes, I suppose that the things that count in Hollywood (what it looks like) were met.

A double is just a clone. Of which there are many. I always tell guys who think they have a true clone in order to make it mores realistic take a 5lb mallet and beat the helllll out of it

There are a few guys up here in the Sacramento area that show their rare 65/66 Shelby coupes. They've done nice jobs in most cases, but how do you miss the fact that there weren't any Shelby coupes when you're planning out the cloning project?

Honestly I just don't get it. It's a plain green fastback from a movie. A bad movie at that.

I'm not sure who or how, but this guy JP Warino is involved with the car, he posted this on the other site

"Many casting code and date code parts have been found and I'm sure as the restoration starts they will have most of what they need.. Some of the body parts removed may be fixed and refitted to the car. Ralph wanted to have the car ready for the Mexicali event and instead of the standard primer I gave him the idea to use the Highland Green without the clear. The car will be blasted and prepped so the paint does not matter that went on the car. They are going to have it done to movie set resto condition. That means even with cameras if possible. When I was at Ford Power Parts in the 80's, owner Ron Miller let me go through boxes of magazines he had and I remember reading an article on the Bullitt that their were 2 427 engines installed in the cars. I don't remember if they were medium risers though. I have not been able to find anyone that has or has seen that magazine so that remains to be solved. So for now they were 390 GT's that were modded.. It is a good thing it was where it was at as if a resto guy guy would of got it it might be all cleaned up and no trace of Bullitt history.. A few years ago I ran across a guy in CA that had 200 cars on his property and 100 of them were Mustangs. he even had a original Boss 429 Hood scoop half buried in the dirt. So many people still have rare finds if you have the time to look. And a few months ago a neighbors friend ran across a 1969 428 SCJ Drag Pack Mach 1 Mustang in a back yard that was filled with trash and cat hair. I encouraged him to move fast as I said deals like these only last hours and he picked it up for a low sum as I went with him within 24 hours to verify it.. . So these finds are out there and it is great that that the 558 was one of them. At the Mexicali event I talked to someone that said maybe the owner will be contacted of the 559 car so that would be good timing for the 50th anniversary of the Bullitt movie and Ford having an event also... Anyone with lines on rare pictures (undercarriage, engine compartment and interior especially), camera equipment, correct body and drive train parts let me know.

I was watching Velocity TV last night and the repeat of one of their episodes involved the restoration of a '67 fastback that they had bought in California and shipped back to the U.K. for restoration. I'm a sucker for a good re-run about cars. They kept referring to it as a car just like the one in Bullitt and even wound up painting it Highland Green. It disappointed me that they didn't know (or didn't care) that the Bullitt car(s) were '68 fastbacks. I'll bet they would have known what model of Mustang James Bond drove.

Hemmings blog had a article about all this and gave BIG coodos to VMF and that this guy broke the story there. Geez I'd been telling this story on VMF for years but I always get banned.:rolleyes::p:D

And if anyone believes that well go ahead.....I mean about my story...the banning is true.o_O

has anyone else noticed Rick is posting ONLY with pictures...? [edit] nevermind, that last one had two words

and I saw that wheeler dealer episode re-run too and thought the same thing. Their car was an A code 67 fastback automatic that was originally black (just like Bullitt!) lol

Did you think it wasnt really me? I just threw some of the pictures I've seen up. I even edited the title to spell Bullitt correctly....

Back