• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Kick panel speakers

steveh326

I am not ready for speakers yet, but that doesn't stop me from searching around to determine what I will use when I get ready to put the interior back in the car. I will also add that I am NOT in any way an audiophile, so I know little about these kinds of things.

Looking at different speakers for the kick panels, MU has this one listed as Kenwood 180 watt (confused tho, cause the picture is of a Pioneer speaker)

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy ... T1=KPS6+01

then I also looked at this shallow speaker from Polk

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DXI650S ... p=95&avf=N

price is about the same, just wondering which one would be better, or if there are other options out there I should look at. Whatever I get, I'll have 4 of them in my convertible, as I also have 6 1/2" cutouts in the rear side panels that I put there back in the late 70's to go with my Kmart speakers and 8 track player...lol. I think the front kick panels require shallow speakers so they fit, so that limits the choices, someone correct me if I am wrong on that.

I am using kick panel speak pods from Mustang Depot that are designed for a seperate tweeter. http://mustangdepot.com/OnLineCatalog/i ... 0copy1.JPG

They look nice and sound much better than the old speakers I had with the traditional pod. I still have the old panels for one speaker if you are looking for some. I was using a pair of Eclipse speakers that sounded ok but did not have enough mid's and high's. The new speakers are a little over the top but sound terrific. They are Focal's. Here are some Focal's with a reasonable price. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-pd6XugWbcS ... html These are the one's I am using and think they are great. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_091165V30/ ... nd%7cFocal

If you are restircting the options to the two in your post I would choose the Polk's. I have Polk speakers throughout my house and think they sound great.

thanks for the info. I am definately not limiting myself to the 2 options I had in the 1st post. The Focal speakers you used look really nice. It looks like the kick panels you used allow you to fit a standard depth 6 3/4" speaker in there, as opposed to the other kick panels which require a 6 1/2" shallow speaker. This looks like a nice way to go, thanks for the info. When the time comes I'd like to get the best speakers I can afford, thats why I am exploring my options now to plan ahead. Thanks again.

Attachments

• 29205_402877310918_222410265918_4818387_8167296_n.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 112
  • 29205_402877420918_222410265918_4818401_44038_n.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 29205_402877330918_222410265918_4818389_2469917_n.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 118
  • 29205_402877435918_222410265918_4818403_1190086_n.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 29205_402877340918_222410265918_4818390_5688414_n.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 115
  • Hot Rod video guy 1.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 33
I have a thread about this somewhere, I ended up with a pair of infinity speakers in mine, they were the best fitting for the kick panels. Most of the ones I looked at were either to deep or the grills had a crazy amount of overhang and looked stupid.....

We have already started to design a different style of kick panel speakers. Ours is going to be flush mounted to give you more room. You will have to do some cutting, but it will be a lot nicer set up, it will also include a set of tweeters.

"mustangstofear" said:
We have already started to design a different style of kick panel speakers. Ours is going to be flush mounted to give you more room. You will have to do some cutting, but it will be a lot nicer set up, it will also include a set of tweeters.

cool! anxious to see what you come out with. My parts list already has a MTF console on it for (hopefully the car will be ready for interior by then) next spring

I plan on using the shallow Polk speakers you posted when I purchase my kick panels. I've used them in many cars over the years and in my house. I really like the way they sound.

Right now, Crutchfield is running their annual Polk deal where you buy one set and get another at half price. I'd go ahead and buy some if I had a little extra cash.

Just doing a little research on kick panels and speakers....

In yet another moment of my infinte wisdom i bought the ABS kick panels with speaker cut outs and a very nice, quite expensive set of Morel speakers to go into them. I am now at the dumbass stage of realising that not all speakers are the same depth and currently the Morels sit nearly 1.5" two high on the rear and about 0.5" too high at the front.

Option 1 - Cut the metal kick panel - not good me thinks :no
Option 2 - Make MDF spacer rings. 1.5" at back 0.5" on front. Will my kick panels look mutated?
Option 3 - Sell the Morels. Which i dont want to do as i have morel tweeters and 6x9 already installed.
Option 4 - Pay my local friendly Romanian FG expert to make me some new and improved panels?

Thoughts?

Johnny, we are redesigning ours so you don't have to cut the body. What we are trying to do is give more room for your feet so your not kicking them all the time.

"mustangstofear" said:
Johnny, we are redesigning ours so you don't have to cut the body. What we are trying to do is give more room for your feet so your not kicking them all the time.

Rich,
Will they be deeper?

I just installed kick panel speakers in our fastback last month. I haven't taken any pictures of them yet, but will once I get the car back together to pull it outside. I used Infinity Reference 6.5's in the front and 6x9's in the rear. I think they sound pretty decent, definately a lot better then the single speaker in the dash did.

I don't remember from whom I bought my kickpanels from but they with a standard set of pioneer speakers work just fine. The only issue is attempting to use the windshield washer switch. Then again how often have I ever wanted to do that? Never!

"cmayna" said:
I don't remember from whom I bought my kickpanels from but they with a standard set of pioneer speakers work just fine. The only issue is attempting to use the windshield washer switch. Then again how often have I ever wanted to do that? Never!

yeah mine is a 66 so no washer foot pedal, and I am deleting my washers anyway to clean up the looks. I actually listened to the pioneers at best buy and they sounded good to me. the biggest issue I face with a convertible is I have to also use 6.5s in the rear sidepanels, so it's difficult to get any base from them. maybe a subwoofer in the trunk down the road sometime but for now I'll think I'll stick with the pioneers. Thanks for the help.

Back