• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

krc ps pump with borgeson box

Markus

Hello guys,

i like to convert my 67 from manual to power steering. Now i saw this steering box from borgeson https://www.borgeson.com/xcart/product.php?productid=1511&cat=60&page=1

But i don´t like the design of the saginaw pump that is contained in the kit. Now i like to use the krc aluminium pump with a serpentine pulley.
My question is, can i run the borgeson steering box with the krc pump? What flow numbers do i need? Any experiences ?

thank you guys

Markus

I think the way to get a truly qualified answer is to check with Borgeson on the box requirements (output of their pump) and then compare that data with the output of the KRC pump. The KRC is adjustable, as I'm sure you know.

For what it is worth, that is the path I plan to follow as well. There is a thread over on the VMF where a Borgeson box is being installed (he's using the Saginaw pump, I believe). I have yet to find anyone who has one installed and driving in a vintage mustang.

I'm following the VMF thread, too. I only know one person (Mike Maier of Maier Racing) who has installed a Borgeson box, but it was on a 65/66.

I'm leaning towards going the Borgeson route, just waiting to hear how the swap goes on a 67/68.

As for a KRC pump on the Borgeson PS box, I believe it'll work just fine. Give KRC a call. IIRC the KRC tech lead developer came from Saginaw, so they should know how their pump compares to the Saginaw pump.

Not to hijack, but does anyone have a shot of one of those mounted to the engine with the KRC brackets? I really do not like the pump that came with my Unisteer power rack. That KRC seems pricey, but if it works better than that POS pump I got with the kit I may swap it. I'm trying to see how that bracket mounts.

krc91312000mounted.jpg

20000100.jpg

31610000.jpg

Thanks Shaun.

OK, next question, I would get the pump with the tank mounted to the pump, I dont want to mount anything on the aprons if I can avoid it. Why are there what looks to be three inlet/outlets, two on the tank and one on the pump?

20000100.jpg

"Shaun" said:

Shaun,

How are these guys reporting it's performance/feel? I like this system for my 65 over a rack (manual or power) for mounting and space reasons. I haven't been able to get any real driving experience reviews. How's it stack up to say manual w/ 16:1 box, manual rack, power rack, etc.? Any real negatives?

Terry

"Horseplay" said:
Shaun,

How are these guys reporting it's performance/feel? I like this system for my 65 over a rack (manual or power) for mounting and space reasons. I haven't been able to get any real driving experience reviews. How's it stack up to say manual w/ 16:1 box, manual rack, power rack, etc.? Any real negatives?

Terry

I haven't heard any bad reviews back so they must be happy! Generally, I only hear back when something isn't working correctly. No news is good news it would seem.

"Fast68back" said:
Thanks Shaun.

OK, next question, I would get the pump with the tank mounted to the pump, I dont want to mount anything on the aprons if I can avoid it. Why are there what looks to be three inlet/outlets, two on the tank and one on the pump?

20000100.jpg

That is a tube so you can access the 2nd mounting bolt that secures the tank to the pump.

I would use the bolt on tank also, it cuts down on plumbing. It will raise the temp. of the fluid slightly so if its on a race car a cooler may be needed. Ok for street cars though.

Is there anything to gain between the aluminum and cast pumps from KRC? Seems like quite a price difference. They seem so small, not sure there is a huge weight gain/loss between them.

Hey Shaun,

I, like a lot of us here, would rather spend our mustang dollars with you whenever possible. I'm sensing a possible group buy on this one. Any chance of putting something together for the guys here on a special group/volume deal?

Speaking for myself I'd be buying a pump with bolt on tank with a polished pulley.

A group/package buy would be great. I was searching through Speedway motors site, they sell a "kit" but it does not seem as complete as the separate kits that Shaun has on his site.

The kit has the pump and the bracket, but does not list the spacers and Shauns bracket kit seems to have all the bolts included.

Speedway motors

46658610_R.jpg

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/KRC-Ford-Power-Steering-Pump-Kits,23857.html
We know all of you don't run a Chevy engine and we have added these KRC head mounted power steering pump kits just for you. They include the pump with a bold-on reservoir, bracket and hardware. Choose v-belt or serpentine belt and 302 or 351W based engine.

Shaun's bracket kit

31610000.jpg

"Fast68back" said:
Is there anything to gain between the aluminum and cast pumps from KRC? Seems like quite a price difference. They seem so small, not sure there is a huge weight gain/loss between them.

Alum. weighs 2.66lbs and is good for up to 9,000rpm, cast iron weighs more and is only good for up to 5,500rpm. The cast iron pump is only available in 13.5cc which is not the 7.2cc KRC recommends for our cars...

Go with the aluminum. :cool:

"Fast68back" said:
A group/package buy would be great. I was searching through Speedway motors site, they sell a "kit" but it does not seem as complete as the separate kits that Shaun has on his site.

The kit has the pump and the bracket, but does not list the spacers and Shauns bracket kit seems to have all the bolts included.

Speedway motors

46658610_R.jpg

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/KRC-Ford-Power-Steering-Pump-Kits,23857.html
Shaun's bracket kit

31610000.jpg

KRC offer kits with pump, bolt on tank and bracket with spacers. I don't have them online.

302 motor with 7.2cc pump, bolt on tank with 6" v-belt pulley - $479.99
351 motor with 7.2cc pump, bolt on tank with 6" v-belt pulley - $479.99

302 motor with 7.2cc pump, bolt on tank with 4.2" serp-belt pulley - $465.99
351 motor with 7.2cc pump, bolt on tank with 4.2" serp-belt pulley - $465.99

Wish I could do a group buy, just no margin in these to even buy myself lunch for a few days from the sale of one kit.

"Shaun" said:
Wish I could do a group buy, just no margin in these to even buy myself lunch for a few days from the sale of one kit.

You can add my name to a group buy list.

The March issue of MUSTANG MONTHLY has a article of a Borgeson unit in a 67 but it isn't a straight forward install because of the use of a 68 steering shaft/column. The routing of the hoses looks like crap and half of the article space is used in removing the old parts but they do tell you what size wrenches to use.

"KGMUSTANG" said:
The March issue of MUSTANG MONTHLY has a article of a Borgeson unit in a 67 but it isn't a straight forward install because of the use of a 68 steering shaft/column. The routing of the hoses looks like crap and half of the article space is used in removing the old parts but they do tell you what size wrenches to use.
Have to agree. the hoses looked like crap and the Saginaw pump looks way outta place on classic ford.

Back