• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Let's talk tool storage

Here's a link to the larger one on the Eastwood site. I have two of the 5 row 21" and two of the 3 row 21" in my box now. I also bought extra socket holders of a couple sizes (3/8" and 1/4"). You can fit more in a row than come supplied.

http://www.eastwood.com/5-rail-socket-holder-tray-21in.html

Just got an e-mail form Eastwood too that says they are giving away free shipping on orders over $50 for Valentines day. Time to go shopping!

Definitely too small. Solution: send about half of the tools to me; I have plenty of room for them.

I like those socket trays and that is a nice tool cabinet.

Wouldn't time be well spent working on the stang rather than

Playing in your drawers? Lol

Winter time things get a bit tight in the garage. All this organizing started by me trying to find the space needed to do some work on the car. I can accomplish so much more when I have room to move and can find the tools I need when I reach for them!

These "Extreme" brand top boxes have been catching my eye for a while now. (Speaking of Home Depot)
33c17267-e206-4460-bedc-fea49532a5e0_1000.jpg
After a tool box set gets to a certain height, then you can't see into the very top. This obviates that problem very intelligently (I think) by angling everything at you. I REALLY like the socket setup. Their rack setup would handle my most commonly used ones for sure. Not sure I'd like how they have those wrenches, they look slightly annoying to get and return. Maybe. Pretty sure I don't like the screwdriver setup in this one. This is just one of many variations they offer though and it's in the moderately large and more expensive class. I think one of the smaller ones might be more up my alley. This one just popped up first.
If I had a box like Horseplay bought I believe I would fill the very top with those blow-molded tool boxes we all seem to accumulate But I wonder if a mid-box and then one of these Extreme things on top might serve me better. I've looked around a bit and Extreme seems to be the only company offering these. I can't justify buying one for a while though. I CAN justify one of HD's plasma cutters though. I think. Pretty sure.
The full listing for this particular box:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Extreme-...C-_-NavPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-205178463-_-N

Those are very unique and address the tall box issue for sure. My reason for passing would be almost a complete lack of ability to customize to your particular needs. For example, the socket pins are spaced to allow room for sizing left to right, etc. If you had need for a bigger count of large sizes you're out of luck. It does really pack stuff in though. If you're a mechanic by trade I can see this working to house your "high usage" stuff for easy access.

I've got couple more of the Eastwood trays delivering today. Going to try to do some modifying to merge some together to reduce the 1/2" rail in exchange for more of the 3/8" and 1/4" width. Still working on wrench organizing. I have so many different sets. Some with large piece counts and others less. Want it to be clean, easy to keep organized and utilize the space wisely. Gotta get more into less.

With clothespins? OK, magnets. I wouldn't hang line wrenches, I put them in a drawer. I rarely need to use them and as such so don't mind if they reside in a dark corner.
I agree with Horseplay that the Extreme boxes seem to be limited in configurability but I haven't seen one in person yet. They do have a fair variety of designs to make up for that a bit. They didn't just make the same one in different sizes, they change up the internal arrangements. The one that's actually tempting me is pretty large and runs like $1200. You can be sure I want to see one in person before I break out the credit card. (I've paid less than that for most of the cars I've owned.)

A much cheaper alternative would be to buy one of the new style boxes like mine with the large top shelf area and raised lid and make your own angled storage trays to set in place. It wouldn't have quite the height but you could certainly do what the Extreme does with your sockets, for example. Hell, you could just make an angled shelf with a bottom lip and set the Eastwood trays on it.

I do an almost daily perusal of new Craigslist ads for tools, car parts and assorted stuff I don't need. Every once and a while I make a major score. Today was such a day. Picked up a BRAND NEW Husky work bench in the same series as my tool box for less than half retail. It's awesome. 61" long. This will allow me to either move stuff around or sell some off to gain more storage, get more organized and improve the look of the "shop". I'm betting I can sell off my last Craftsman tool chest and current bench/cabinet combo and actually be money ahead. Love a good find.

husky bench.JPG

Back