• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Lifting from the pinchweld

Mach1 Driver

Since my Mach is so nose heavy and my lift has short arms**, I am going to use the pinchweld in the rear to support the car. I've read that some people use the bottom edge of the weld to support and others use the flat areas on either side.
Since the edge of the weld is uneven and often has just one metal thickness sticking below the other, I can't see why anyone would try to use that surface.
What have you done?

** Its the tyrannosaurus of two post lifts

Ive seen guys use a piece of 2x4 and cut a groove in the wood to put the pince weld in and then put the jack under the 2x4. Give a more stable lifting surface and less likely damage the pinch weld.

Ive seen guys use a piece of 2x4 and cut a groove in the wood to put the pinch weld in and then put the jack under the 2x4. Give a more stable lifting surface and less likely damage the pinch weld.

That's what I did, and it worked extremely well. That way, you're supporting the entire length of the pinch weld and not just at the jacking point.

6 feet or a shade over. I had to expand the notch for some of the drain-hole like protrusions. Had to make a lefty and a righty.

6 feet or a shade over. I had to expand the notch for some of the drain-hole like protrusions. Had to make a lefty and a righty.

And the grove is deep enough that you don't lift from the pinch weld but either side of it? Can I also assume you have a two post lift and the arms are positioned near the front and rear of the 2x4?

No. The groove is just deep enough so that the entire length of the board supports the bottom of the pinch weld. I have a two post asymmetric lift, and the lift points were just inboard of both wheels on each side.

I got these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=331762982170
They are hard rubber 2-15/16" in diameter with a slot that is a little shallower than the pinch weld.
I discovered that it hits the fuel line on the drivers side at the rear lift point. There is a bracket holding the fuel line close to the lift point. I'm wondering if I could loosen the bracket and get it to work or if I have to hack-up the pad. Does anyone have any experience with a 69 Mach using the lift points in this way?

Looks like the hockey pucks that KBMWRS uses, but with slots cut into them. You might try finding some of those.
edit: I see that he makes reference to the hockey puck in his ad. Makes me wonder what's wrong with using a hockey puck.

Looks like the hockey pucks that KBMWRS uses, but with slots cut into them. You might try finding some of those.
edit: I see that he makes reference to the hockey puck in his ad. Makes me wonder what's wrong with using a hockey puck.

The bottoms are very rough to help prevent them from moving and the groves are molded in so I suppose they are somewhat stronger structurally.

Back