• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

locking fuel cap?

Did anyone go with a locking fuel cap? I like the look of the pop opens for my 68 coupe, but would love to have it be a locking unit. Can you insert a locking generic cap inside the pop opens? or is their other options I should consider?

Do you REALLY feel you need a locking gas cap? I started out with one for my 68 but quickly switched to a standard cap since the car is typically never left exposed to "elements" that would call for a locking one.

my buddy had a 68 4 door nova 15 years ago and got his full tank siphoned out while he was parked at the mall during the day. With Gas prices, and being I have a 22 gallon gas tank, I would rather play it safe then lose out on 100 dollars worth of gas lol.

I did exactly that. I used an OEM pop-open cap, so I had to take off the innards from the cap to fit the locking cap behind it. If you get a new repro cap, that part is already done, as they include a twist on cap to use with it. Let me know if you're using an OEM cap and need to know the details.

when I was modifying filler necks for some folks on here, one sent me a filler neck with a spring thingy in it. It was designed to prevent a hose from being stuck inside there but still let the gas flow in. Could be an option....

Back