• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Lokar or other Parking Brake Cable kit....anyone use it??

buening

I'm in the middle of mocking up the T56 and came to the realization that the stock location of the parking brake cable and brackets is definitely NOT going to work Not only is the bracketry attached to the front frame rails in the way of a transmission crossmember, but since the motor is lowered and moved toward the rear the cable that crosses the trans tunnel is touching the tailshaft of the transmission. That will rub through the cable quickly.

My car has the factory Mach console so putting in a hand E-brake is out of the question, so is completely removing the parking brake and going without. I like the added security of the parking brake in case my brakes were to fail. I currently have the stock 9" rear drums but do eventually plan on going with the Cobra front and rear discs. Hopefully that won't change how they cables connect?

Has anyone used the Lokar (or other kind) parking brake cable kit without a relocated hand brake? I'm open for ideas. I do know that they make a 69-70 Lokar cable connector kit that connects directly to the pedal and runs to the universal cables. That is an extra $90 on the $100 cables. I'm trying to justify $200 for some friggin parking brake cables. I'm looking for possible cheaper solutions but don't seem to be coming up with much.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mustang-1969-70-Parking-Brake-Cable-Black-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19b2fe1983QQitemZ110377179523QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LOKAR-EMERGENCY-PARKING-BRAKE-CABLES-EC-81FU-UNIVERSAL-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem335d4ed048QQitemZ220608778312QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

On my son's '68 we used the Lokar REAR cables to connect the internal parking brake in the Wilwood calipers. The rear cable kit eliminates the need for the OEM cable to "cross" under the car. Dual sheathed cables can be routed rearward along the floorpan/tunnel.... imagine sheathed cables VERY similar to those used on a bicycle (just larger/thicker).

The forward ends of the two cables are "cut to fit" after the routing is finished. The forward ends connect to an "adjusting block". The adjusting block can be.... with some minor fabricating... connected to the OEM "lever/fulcrum" that's mounted on the underside floorpan below the drivers seat.

The OE parking brake handle assembly and forward cable are retained and connect to one side of the lever/fulcrum as from the factory.

If you're having clearance issues due to a T56 install, the rear cable kit should solve your issues.... as long as you can retain the OE forward cable.... and the lever/fulcrum below the drivers seat/floorboard.

Since the rear cables are "cut to fit"..... I'm fairly certain that connecting them to Drum brakes would be a "longer" cable length. Down the road if/when you install rear Disc brakes/calipers you should have enough cable length to adjust without buying new cables.

Thanks Dave. See below for pics that may clarify. As you can see the end of the stock front cable and spring as well as the hook on the passenger side are right in the way for any kind of transmission crossmember. As stated before, you can kinda see the cable touching the tailshaft of the trans when it crosses over. I'm also dealing with the Magnaflow 2.5" X-Pipe with crosses at the front U-joint, so clearances are becoming a pain when it comes to a crossmember. If I can remove/relocate the parking brake stuff it would make fabricating the crossmember MUCH easier. The second pic is the start of my wood crossmember just to get the angles right and check clearances, to give you an idea of placement.

Ideally I would like to get the stock front cable into the trans tunnel and then route the Lokar cables in the tunnel. I don't think the stock cable will reach to the tunnel though without some extremely tight bends, which would likely cause binding issues. The other thought I had was to fab a bracket and place it on the outside of the front frame extension and run it down the floorpans near the rocker, but with plans of Tinman subframe connectors it may be tough trying to get the passenger cable around the connectors. Just throwing out various ideas that I've had, none of which seems to work :sad

Dave, did you keep the stock location of the front cable and is it similar to mine? If you have any pics post them up please!

231_24_05_10_6_32_00_0.JPG

231_24_05_10_6_32_01_1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had a light bulb come on. My 2005 F150 has a foot operated parking brake, so why wouldn't I see what Ford did with it? Below are pictures of the front part where it comes through the floor and runs alongside the outer face of the drivers frame rail, then a pic showing the rear cables.

231_24_05_10_6_50_33_0.JPG

231_24_05_10_6_50_33_1.JPG

It's got me thinking, I wonder if I couldn't mimic this setup or even buy the F150 cables from a junk yard and see if I can't cut them to fit? Below is a pic of the underside of my car, just picture the rectangular tube subframe connectors. Since the subframe connectors hang down below the rear frame rails, I could cross the one line over at the end of the connector. Otherwise I'd have to deal with the leave springs similar to what was done on the F150

231_24_05_10_6_50_34_2.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried getting pictures of the Lokar cables before and they didn't come out very well as the car wasn't on a lift.

Keep in mind that if routing a passenger side cable proves too difficult/cumbersome.... a single cable routed to the drivers side rear brake would serve fine as a "parking brake". Probably not the best option for an "emergency brake", but it is an option.

Dave did your use the stock location of the front cable and spring, and is it similar to the one in my picture?

"buening" said:
Dave did your use the stock location of the front cable and spring, and is it similar to the one in my picture?

Yes, the front cable was uneffected by the modification, but I'm not certain that the operating mechanism is identical between 68 and 69/70 cars....

Looks like you've got some extension left on the drivers side and its longer right now than the pass. solid 'J' hook, is there a way to either fab a longer 'J' hook for the pass. side or make a new hole to move it back 1-2"? It looks like you only need and inch or 2 back and you'd clear the angled webbing under the trans. You may need to shorten the cable or put a small loop in it with a crimp clamp like used with woven cabling to take up some of the slack. These options might be eaier than rethinking the whole system. Not at home at the moment and don't have my links available.
Jon

You bring up a good point actually. Regardless of what I do with the brackets in their current location it will interfere with the crossmember. I could investigate relocating both brackets further back on the frame rails. This would mean that my cable would be too long, but I could always shorten the cable and fabricate a junction block since the modified original cable wouldn't have the "ball end". Good thoughts!

Just another datapoint, using the Unicross on my T56 install, I also had to abandon the original parking brake mounting points on my 67.
So, also watching this thread with interest.

"joesgt281" said:
Just another datapoint, using the Unicross on my T56 install, I also had to abandon the original parking brake mounting points on my 67.
So, also watching this thread with interest.

Glad to see I'm not losing my mind :lol Glad to see another conversion. Do you have a progress thread made yet? Maybe we both can learn off each other during this process

No build thread.....just finally got out from under the car last nite :cry

Basically, I bought the T56 Magnum kit from American Powertrain.
Some of the specifics:
car is a 67
went with cable rather than hydraulic clutch actuation (also a Ron Morris component)
uses a McLeod offset shifter to put it into the original position.
And, like your other post revealed, mine is clocked about 5 degrees.
I haven't yet, but plan to actuate the reverse lockout off the brake switch.

Please feel free to holler at me with any questions. I really juste took it for it's first drive last nite and it is sweet!

Back