• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Long time no post!

jmbour66

hi guys, it's been ages since I was out to the site but I've had little time for my 73 since we moved to Sioux Falls. Any how I hope everyone is well;it's good to see so many familiar names out here.

I of course do need some advice; I finally got the vert out of storage and after taking care of the basic maintenance I went for a cruise with my son. We drove around for about 30 minutes and the car was running great....until it wasn't! Leaving a stoplight I got up to about 20 and punched it, at that point I felt something like wheel hop and then lost my transmission. No drive, no reverse, no nothing except park. The transmission is the original C4, the engine is a bored out 88 (302 to a 308), with headers and a Street Demon Carburetor.

Any help is appreciated ,

Jon

Welcome back!

Have you checked the fluid level? the C4 really hates to go into gear if the trans fluid is low.

if it reads high, I wouldn't add any, it will start puking it out all over.

if it reads high, I wouldn't add any, it will start puking it out all over.
Figuring I couldn't do any more harm, I fed the transmission 2.5 quarts (until it puked!) and still no luck.

I'm guessing pump or torque converter ?

Sounds like it is time to rebuild it. I just did a C4, it was pretty straight forward.

A bit more info: other than the fact that the car will not move under its own power the engine sounds and runs perfect, that being said; when I go from park to any other gear my RPM's remain constant, in other words they don't drop under load....

Back