• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Look what I found......

AzPete

.......under the left valve cover of my '66.
ValveCover002.jpg
ValveCover001.jpg

I know what the triangle thing is, it is the round thing I don't see any more. I think it is a quarter...lol

No, really, I pulled the drivers side valve cover while changing the header gasket and saw the little shiny silver triangle piece laying in the front lower corner of the head. Only marking on it is evidence of it being bolted onto something. (circle scratched around the hole) I am pretty sure what it is and with no marks on it, I would say it has not mixed it up with any valve springs. Engine runs fine.

Gotta love PO's..........

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it's an aftermarket "washer" for a valve cover bolt.

One thing I'm always careful of when removing valve covers.... the new Felpro cork valve cover gaskets have little metel "rings" that are installed in each of the holes in the gasket. The rings are intended to ensure that the hole in the cork is not distorted due to gasket to head/valve cover misalignment when installing each bolt. After a couple times of removing the valve covers, I've noticed that these little metal rings don't always stay attached to the gasket. I've had to scrounge around inside the head to find these little suckers when they fall out and they always make me nervous.

All this fighting over MY quarter.....go ahead, all of you may print a picture of it.

Yes, that is a tab for keeping the steel/tin valve cover hole from collapsing when tightened. Thing is, this car has M/T cast valve covers on it. None of those used anywhere............

Dave, you should look into some rubber/neoprene vc gaskets. I got tired of replacing cork gaskets on my motor so I switched. No leaks, and they always come off easy.

Back