• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

looking for answers

I will be shopping for a new exhaust sytem this winter for my 68. I have been looking at the Hedman Husler 1 3/4- 1 7/8. I want to go 3" all the way back. I may end up doing the shelby exhaust again. I do have power steering and have to take that into consideration. Does anyone have these Hedmans(pics?) or is there a equivelent header? I need to find a header that will fit between the shock towers. Right now I have the 1 5/8 Ford Motor Sports shorties. The driver's side is laying on the steering gear box and the passenger side is almost touching. I figure on spending up to $800 or more on just the headers. Don't tell me I don't need a 3" exhaust, I am a big boy now. Thanks in advance.

A little info about my 347 that may be pertinant to choosing the right combo.

TFS street heads
weiand 174
Pro comp 750 race series
toploader 4 speed trans

Normally I'd say you don't need a 3", but that blower changes things:)

If you want good headers, look at FPA. Everyone I've talked to that's purchased their product has been extremely happy. When I get headers, those are what I'm getting. They're amazing quality, fit perfectly, and they tuck up really nice under the car. Most of the pics I've seen show the collectors snugging up under the car very well, making ground clearance a non-issue.

You didnt mention your trans, is it an Auto or is Clutch linkeage an issue? Do you prefer long over shorties? JBA has some nice shorties and even long tubes. The THICK flange is a huge plus.......

I put hooker super comp full length headers with 3" custom exhaust on my '69. It is by far the best exhaust system I have ever had. The headers tuck up much nicer than the patriot headers I had before. We used j-bends to custom build the turns with a true dual setup. I then put 3" Flowmaster 40s on with turn down tips at the valence. It sounds incredible and flows super strong. To answer you initial question, I like the 3" idea, but you may want to do some reading on large tube headers. I have 1 5/8" primaries and they work dang well. If you go too large, you are going to hurt your power. It is better to run a little small than a little big on primary diameter. I am running a 383 stroker making about 460hp and 470ft/lbs with a redline of 7k. Eventhough you are running blown, you still have a small CID small block. I might stay with a 1 5/8" primary, but go long tube. They work much better than shorties. Also, you are going to love the 3" sound! It may be a little large, but if you are in the 450-500hp range, you will like it.

Sweet pic Tad. Is that your car?

Good info UC. I have 1 5/8 shorties right now. I always thought with the TFS heads 1 3/4 would be better.

God no, lol. Mine's unrestored, meaning the bottom's coated with 40 years of road grease, plus what my leaky rear main left on it:p

Back