• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Lost oil pressure

Ok, I follow you. I thought you meant something you hook up to test but continue using the factory gauge.

I am hoping that the wife lands this job tomorrow. Planned on pulling the 289 and having a 302 built back in May but it just didn't pan out mainly because of her job issues. If she doesn't land that one there are several other very good prospects she is looking into.

Hoping to just pull this motor soon. Already have most of the parts I need and some money stashed away, just wanted to make sure I didn't need the money for the rent first.

"RustyRed" said:
Ok, I follow you. I thought you meant something you hook up to test but continue using the factory gauge.

It is. You can put a "T" (available at most parts stores) in the line there to use both the factory, and the mechanical unit.

Good luck for Mrs.

Well what do you know....the guy post ads from time to time. Guess he gets blocks ready then sales them. Hobby maybe? I know he's an older guy.

Ad hasn't been on in a while but here it is:

"Ford 302 HO block. set up for roller lifters. Cleaned, magnafluxed,All machine work done . bored .030, new brass freeze plugs, new cam bearings ,block decked. Ready to build. 325.00"

His ad wasn't there this afternoon so I figured "if I ever see it again I'll seriously consider it". Tonight his ad is there again.

Might have to consider that one. Just need to figure out what else I'd need. Gasket set, 30 over pistons, rings, etc.

I am thinking of just putting the block together myself. Not paying the labor would save a ton and the boys always want to help me so might be a good father / son project.

I already have the oil pan, intake, carb, heads, shorty headers, valve covers, distributor, even the plug wires new in the box.

Probably could sell my existing 289 as a running motor for as much as he wants for the block.

Wife has pretty good odds on the interview tomorrow. She was working for a staffing firm a while back and did some work for this firm's client. They liked her work so much they tried to hire her back then, touched base with her a month later to make sure she didn't want to come on board and responded right away when she contacted them.

Any ideas, thoughts?

I figure the block is a good deal. At Scroggins here in Houston it would cost you about $200 to have a block bored, crack checked, etc.

The part that I have to wonder about is it above my pay grade however is knowing what pistons to buy, what cam to buy, etc.

He also doesn't say if the block comes with a crank or not but guess you can find one of those pretty easy and if it needs to be ground it would run about $125 or so.

What I probably need to do is sit down and develop a parts list then get a rough guess of the cost. I know what it would cost to have a local engine guy assemble a 302 for me. Might be kind of fun to do it myself (and a challenge) but unless the savings were material it might be easier to just have it done.

Since you are not familiar with engine assembly, there are a few things to think about. If you are buying the parts separately, the pistons and rods will have to be fitted together. Most budget parts are a press fit, which should be done at the machine shop. Also, you should strongly consider getting the assembly balanced. During assembly, checking clearances is essential. Plastigage is a good tool for the home engine builder when checking bearing clearance. The thrust clearance needs to be checked with a dial indicator too. While nothing is difficult in engine assembly, it's important to do your homework before diving in. Good luck!

Thanks for the tips monkey.

I have a buddy locally that has a '70 Camaro that built his own motor and it'll run about a 10 second quarter. Going to check with him and see if I can horse trade him for some help if I need it. His car is still in Kansas right now (long story) so he told me for the time being he is living vicariously through me and he loved it when I sent him pictures of replacing the metal in the front end of my Stang, LOL!

If he's busy then I might just pony up and pay to have Herb put it all together for me.

Wife's interview went really well yesterday. They told her there was one lady out on maternity leave that they wanted her to do a phone interview with since they would be working together a good deal. Before the wife could even get home the lady called her and asked if she had time for lunch today so things are looking very good. We confirmed last night they are calling her references....we need either a praying or fingers crossed smiley icon here :rofl

"daveSanborn" said:
It sounds to me like this is a done deal, but I'll hold my congrats until it's official.

I tend to agree but try not to get too hopeful till something is in writing.

It would be cool however. The vacation pay from her old place was up Tuesday. It would be cool if she was laid off less than a week. She wouldn't even have to bother going through the hassle of trying to file for unemployment.

My current engines days are now numbered.

Leaning towards getting Herb to assemble something for me.

But one stupid question....would having the fly wheel turning tool be useful when pulling the motor? The how to book talks about pulling the dust cover and having an assistant bump the motor over to get to the bolts one at a time but the odds of me having an "assistant" to pull it are about zero.

It's been years but I don't recall bumping the motor to expose the bolts. On a Chevy 350 in an old truck we rebuilt one time I seem to recall my buddy just grabbing the next bolt in line with an air ratchet and giving it a yank to pull it down, but there is a lot more room in a 70's model pick up.

You could use a remote starter switch for bumping the motor. It should reach down to the flywheel area so you can bump it as needed without moving. Bolts are pretty well spread out on the flywheel if I remember correctly.

Or....

You can use a large screwdriver as a "pry bar" against the side of the bellhousing and engaging it with the teeth of the flywheel, "pry/rotate" the flyweel until each bolt is reachable with a wrench.

I keep forgetting to update but I elected due to time constraints to have Herb build me a 302. I also have a fellow local who wants to buy the 289.

The motor is done and just waiting...it was delivered Monday.

Plan on taking off Tuesday through Friday of next week to pull the 289, detail the bay, install the new, etc. Adding a one piece export and Monte Carlo along with the dual bowl master while I am at it.

Should look pretty good when it's all done.

Here is the "before" picture but I'll have to get back to you with the "after" picture later next week. Actually, this is the really before picture because it was taken before I replaced the radiator support and fender apron but it gives you the basic idea of what I started with :)

enginebay.jpg

Back