• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Lots of changes to the Mach 1

6t9mach1

I've got several major changes that I'm doing to the Mach 1 this winter. I already have swapped out my 3.50 trac-lok unit for a 4.11 Detroit locker with a Daytona pinion support.
DSCF2791.jpg

I currently have the AODE transmission I'm installing jacked up underneath the car waiting to be installed. Since my old transmission bracket wasnt going to work with the new AODE I welded up a custom trans bracket. Here are a few pics of the bracket before I painted it.
DSCF3359.jpg

DSCF3361.jpg

Between the transmission and the rear end I've got a 3.75" diameter driveshaft with 1350 u-joints and a Strange forged slip yoke.

For the motor I'm planning on using the bottom end that I installed 2 years ago when I rebuilt the motor. I'm going to take the bottom end apart, clean it up, double check clearances, oiling holes, etc. and put it back together. My goal for the motor was to make 400hp at the rear wheels, which I figure I'm going to need 520hp-530hp at the crank to make that happen. I should be able to reach this goal with what I have planned. Here is what the engine build is going to look like...

'69 351w block bored .030" over
stock crank turned .010"
Eagle forged SIR I-beam rods
Probe forged SRS pistons (flat top -4cc)
Clevite P-series bearings
Total Seal low tension rings
11.32 static compression
Camshaft Innovations solid roller cam
Ported Canfield 192 heads (289cfm/239cfm)...I need to throw the nitrous to it with these heads I think, lol!
Full roller rockers (havent decided what I'm going to use yet)
Vic Jr. intake (port matched and clean up the runners and plenum)
BG 850 annular booster Mighty Demon
JBA long tube headers ( 1.75" primary tubes, 3.5" collector)

It should be a fun combo when it is all said and done. Hopefully, I dont break anything, lol! I'll post pics of my progess as it happens...slowly I'm sure.

Dayum, that thing is gonna be a BEAST Ryan. 240cfm on the exhaust? :excit

Might just have to take a roadtrip and come see it in person. :lol

PS: Glad to see you've joined the darkside...but I wouldn't eat the free cookies!

PS: Glad to see you've joined the darkside...but I wouldn't eat the free cookies!

But I like cookies, lol!

Yeah, the 240cfm on the exhaust side, these heads must have been on a nitrous motor. Its also flowing those numbers without a good 3-angle valve job...the only angle I see on the valve is the 45* seat angle. With a good valve job these would probably flow almost 300cfm on the intake side, but I think that I can reach my goals without it. If I have any money left over after I get all my parts I may get a valve job on them.

Well, I've got some more pics of progress I made this past weekend. I got the trans bracket painted and got my new Strange slip yoke installed to my driveshaft. I dont' think that I have to worry about hurting this driveshaft or 1350 u-joints :vic

DSCF3369.jpg

DSCF3371.jpg

DSCF3374.jpg

DSCF3373.jpg

So what is the end goal? Building a street monster or do you plan on bringing it to the strip? Building a heck of drivetrain, what tires are you gonna run to hook this beast up?

I'm just building a street beast that will turn a good number if I take it to the track. I'd like to go to the strip a couple times a year for fun. I got a super deal on a set of 235/60/15 Mickey Thompson ET streets on some steel Crager wheels. Not quite as wide as I'd like to run (I'd like 275's) but the 26" diameter is going to work well with my 4.11 gear; I could actually use a little more gear like a 4.30 for slightly higher rpms at the line for what shift rpm I'm planning on, but its not such a big deal since this car will see mostly street time. Here is a pic of the tires and wheels. I'm not at all fond of the wheels but they will do for now. Eventually I'll wrap the tires around a new set of Mag 500's.

DSCF3356.jpg

Back