• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Lots of Electrical issues

janschutz

Corn Hauler
Since the accident, I have the following issues.

No headlights, no Gas gauge, No horn ( I think there was one more issue but cannot remember right now)

Since I was hit had in the front, I thought I pull the front harness and check for shorts of other issues. What I found was a bunch of splices and bad wires.

I am also moving the starter relay to the inside passenger kick panel
.Wiring01.jpg
Got it out with minimal cussing.
Wiring02.jpg
First set of splices I found.
Wiring03.jpg
I installed a 1 wire alternator so I will also remove the voltage regulator wiring.
Wiring04.jpg
the is the connector that went to the stock alternator. What is the middle black wire to? The 2 on the top are grounds.
Wiring05.jpg

That big black wire goes into this junction. It has a yellow and a black and yellow wire coming out of it.
Wiring07.jpg
I could not see a way of getting this connector off so I cut it off.
Wiring08.jpg
Found another set of splices.
Wiring09.jpg
and another set (3 total)
Wiring11.jpg

Attachments

• Wiring06.jpg
    Wiring06.jpg
    500.6 KB · Views: 18
Going to move the starter relay tomorrow and run the power to it. Then I will do the turn signals, and lastly the headlights.

With those many splices, you're probably better off replacing the whole damn thing.

I plan on it but will use the pieces to temporary hook things up. Since I have a painless fuse box, I might just order one from them. Do you have to reuse your old connectors or do they supply new ones?

I have run the red wire from the hot side of the starter relay to the yellow plug under the dash (has a red and yellow wire). I do not have power to the dash yet. What did I miss? That is what my schematic looks like (although it is so small print, I could of crossed something while reading it).

That red wire, along with it's companion yellow wire, are for the ammeter.

I dont know about painless but my American autowire harness came with new connectors. However, it is not for a stock set-up, its meant for aftermarket stuff (1 wire alt, power options, ect)

Found it, a black and yellow wire.Now I am going to move the starter solenoid to the inside like I wanted.

What black and yellow wire did you find? Typically, those are battery-powered lines.

It isn't clear from your earlier postings as to what you were looking for and why. As I now understand things, you were looking for the main battery power input line to the underdash harness?

Get a copy of the electrical schematic and it will give you the wire colors/numbers so these types of questions can be answered quick and simple. Plus, you likely wouldn't have to ask in the first place. Being as old as our cars are, and their questionable "repairs" by POs, you will usually find stuff that is not done correctly as well that you may have otherwise missed or couldn't figure out.

Aftermarket harnesses are geared toward "modernization" of the cars so lots of the connectors are not present or are made to fit newer set-ups. To my knowledge, no one makes the connectors (like firewall pieces) separately in a design capable of building your own new harness. During my search anyway I came up empty. I would think there would be a decent sized market for it.

I do have the Osborn manuals and it has schematics. I just find the print quality poor, hard to read and too small for my old eyes.

The starter solenoid is moved and the new battery cable is made and installed. The battery is in the trunk.
Wiring12.jpg
A better look at it's location.
Wiring13.jpg

I do have the Osborn manuals and it has schematics. I just find the print quality poor, hard to read and too small for my old eyes.
Google is your friend. I have all the Osborn manuals, shop manual, etc. but you can find the cleanest/clearest electrical schematics on the WEB. For example;

https://www.peterfranza.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/E5.jpg

And you can use your computer to zoom in too! Enlarge 'em and print them out. I did. Got copies everywhere at this point. I draw in my changes etc. for future reference in my "master copy".

Back