• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Lots of Electrical issues

Making a new starter cable to reach under the dash. When pulling the old cable out, I found it was pinched by the motor mount. I need to tell the engine builder about that.
Wiring14.jpg

Hope to get it cranking tonight if my support calls hold off.

Google is your friend. I have all the Osborn manuals, shop manual, etc. but you can find the cleanest/clearest electrical schematics on the WEB. For example;

https://www.peterfranza.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/E5.jpg

And you can use your computer to zoom in too! Enlarge 'em and print them out. I did. Got copies everywhere at this point. I draw in my changes etc. for future reference in my "master copy".

Those my friends are DIAGRAMS, not SCHEMATICS. Diagrams certainly have their place, but they are used to identify wires and hook them up. Schematics cut out all the connectors, splices, etc. and reduce the circuit to a simplified form. They are used when you want to understand how the circuit operates. Everything starts with a schematic and progresses to the diagram stage. Unfortunately there are no schematics for our cars. My Helm manual has 37 pages of electrical drawings and diagrams, and is pretty useless when trying to understand a circuit. I'm in the process of converting the diagrams back to schematic form. It will only take a few pages for my entire 69 Mach. Its what I'm used to and how I always worked.

Those my friends are DIAGRAMS, not SCHEMATICS. Diagrams certainly have their place, but they are used to identify wires and hook them up. Schematics cut out all the connectors, splices, etc. and reduce the circuit to a simplified form. They are used when you want to understand how the circuit operates. Everything starts with a schematic and progresses to the diagram stage. Unfortunately there are no schematics for our cars. My Helm manual has 37 pages of electrical drawings and diagrams, and is pretty useless when trying to understand a circuit. I'm in the process of converting the diagrams back to schematic form. It will only take a few pages for my entire 69 Mach. Its what I'm used to and how I always worked.
Semantics but you are correct. They use diagrams because back in the day the systems were so simple they didn't require a schematic. Most car guys would freak out if confronted with a true schematic even though simpler to use/understand. Same info in a different format but foreign to most. Much easier to follow when it shows a wire running from here to there.

Finally back from vacation and hopefully can have a little car time this weekend. The latest issue is now that I have it cranking, as soon as I let off the key it dies. Guess I need to find the engine running circuit.

The attachment will show you how it works- it goes through ignition switch B to C, through the tach if you have one, through the resistor wire, and to the coil Bat terminal.

Attachments

• MUSTANG SCHEMATIC PG1.pdf
    54 KB · Views: 4
Finally back from vacation and hopefully can have a little car time this weekend. The latest issue is now that I have it cranking, as soon as I let off the key it dies. Guess I need to find the engine running circuit.
That happened to Midlife when I first got it. I traced it to a bad connection on the starter motor, which caused the voltage to drop more than usual when cranking. When the key was let go, there wasn't enough voltage to keep the normal ignition system high enough at the coil to continue running.

Check your starter and ground cables.

Back