• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

M-6701-B351 rear main seal installation question

I have a Ford Performance Parts M-6701-B351 rear main seal for my 351W, but I am having a hard time finding installation instructions. I couldn’t find anything on the FPP site and the seal didn’t come with any instructions. Has anyone used this seal and has feedback on how to install it?

The seal itself isn't hard to change out, but you will need to take the gearbox and flywheel out to get to it.

I have changed that type of seal many times without taking the sump off. But If you haven't done it before I suggest you watch some you tube clips before starting it.

I presume you know the seal has a front and back side. With a small screw or two you can pull out the old seal. But before doing that , clean up the area as you won't have dirt inside the engine.
You can tap the new seal in place with a small yet flat headed hammer. DON'T distorn the seal !!! Just tap slightly on the outer edge of the seal in a manner that the seal goes even deep around. And put on some sealer on the outside edge.
Best way I can explain.

And Youtube of course.
REAR MAIN ENGINE SEAL REPLACEMENT

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A605FN met Tapatalk

I should have mentioned that the engine is in the process of being reassembled so it is already out of the car and doesn’t have one installed currently. I’ve done a YouTube search but haven’t found one specific to this seal. Most of the ones I have seen appear to be the Felpro seal that looks different. I know that some seals should be lubed prior to installation and some need to go on dry. Since there weren’t any instructions that came with my seal, I assume it should be lubed. Does the seal go in until it stops? Flush with main cap?

I haven't lubed the ones I have fitted but I don't think it it would hurt. It should go in so that it sits flush with the outside of the seal housing.

Back