• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Maximum rubber......girl gets some new shoes

After close to a year my car came down off the jacks today. I took the opportunity to pull a rear wheel off the Cuda to see how things were going to play out with the 315. My results were very similar to yours. The first to go was the rear sway bar. After that, most everything looks do-able with 1/4" or so clearance on the rear side of springs. I did hang a 1/4" spacer on the wheel in my test fitment. Also realized if I was going to get the tire tucked in to the wheel well the car was going to be VERY low. Am still mulling over my G-ride vision with todays reality check. I still don't have the fuel tank or interior in the rear but with my 180lb carcass sitting on the trunk rail, it dropped another 1/2". Tucking in the tires may not be practical.

Attachments

• IMG_7048.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_7051.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 62
Wow that is riding pretty high. Did you tighten the leaf spring front and rear shackle bolts after the suspension is loaded? If new suspension, it may settle some but not likely enough. What leafs are you running? You may want to look into some mideye or reverse eyes to minimize the lowering block heights.

I have pretty bad rubbing on the front lower inner wheelhouse on the passenger side (even after the BFH). I'll be splitting the weld to the trunk floors and pushing the metal back, then rewelding. I hope to post some pics of this whenever I get around to it. Too many projects going on at once unfortunately!

Am running stock leafs. I did tighten all up before I put it on the floor. Maybe I should loosen it and retighten? I still need to put in tank, rear FD seat, exhaust, lower valance, etc. I already have 2" drop blocks installed. What is your ground to fender lip height? I am at 26.5"

I just went out and measured. I'm right at 26.75" from ground to fender lip with the call having 1/2 tank and no one sitting in it. It basically has stock suspension without any lowering blocks.

Is your first picture with the suspension loaded? It looks like you have 5" clearance from top of tire to fender lip, so I'd expect you to have much more than 26.5" unless that picture is an optical illusion.

First pic was with car on jacks. Second pic is sitting on ground. I don't see how you are getting so much more drop then I am when we are both running stock springs unless yours have sagged or mine were replaced????

Also what are you doing for an anti sway bar? Running without one or?

Ahh, I was hoping it was on stands in that pic. The springs were on the car when I bought it but they still look pretty good, but can't guarantee they haven't sagged. I think mine are only 4 leaf, not sure if that matters but would have a reduced rate. If you are wanting to dearch your springs, look into threads by Opentracker and latamud on Stangnet.

No rear sway bar but was planning on putting it back on. Does it cause clearance issues? It was off the car prior to me installing the new wheels.

Yes, during test fit it was the first thing to go. You will not be able to run the 315's and the stock sway bar. Pity too as I had mine nicely detailed with all stainless endlinks, new rubber and sway bar bushings. Rick Flores dearched his springs for his 69 3" and still used a 1" drop block. I think that is where I am going.

Maybe one of those aftermarket units that mounts to the axle directly. With the clearance you and I will be running, we probably need some sort of stabilizer to minimize swing and sway back there.

IIRC when talking with John at Opentracker he tends to sway away from rear Sway bars. I debated between a Watts link and a Panhard rod setup, after talking with both I decided that the Maiers racing bar seemed to suit the intentions I wanted. I have bought the bar but haven't finished installing it yet.

Was he aware of your wider rear tires? When you have wider rear tires than the front you have greater understeer than a car with equal width tires. Adding a rear sway bar reduces understeer, better balancing it out. On a car with same width tires, the rear sway bar is not recommended based on my research. If John reads this, I'd appreciate his input.

BTW I still haven't decided what I'll do with my rear in terms of a locating device.

"buening" said:
Was he aware of your wider rear tires? If John reads this, I'd appreciate his input.

BTW I still haven't decided what I'll do with my rear in terms of a locating device.

I'm not real sure if we discussed the rear tire width or not.

Ugh, so I went to roll the fender lips today that I borrowed from Grabber70Mach and I can't find the damn McGard wheel lock tool! Knowing my luck I left the tool on the lug nut and then took the car for a spin. Hopefully I can just buy the tool and not a whole lock set.

Sooo, it may be a little longer before I get your tool back to you :(

No problem, I lost one once, if you can find the card with the code on it call them and they can send you a new one.

Not so well. I found the bondo in my rear quarter panel lip, so it basically got part of it rolled where there was steel remaining. I started with that quarter first, so it set the pace for the rest of the rolling. :rant The paint on my car must have been done by a 10yr old. It appears it was just shot over the original without any primer, so it flakes real easily. The paint on the front fenders and quarters cracked and flaked off pretty bad. I pretty much expected this and have plans for a repaint a few years down the road. No pics yet unfortunately.

Back