• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

mcleod hydrualic bearing

GT350

below is a quote from a friend of mine having problems on his 67 stang can anyone here help.

I've been having problems with my clutch. Tremec TKOII trans

McLeod Aluminium flywheel/Street Twin clutch/hydraulic throw-out bearing/AP Racing master cylinder.....

After discovering the swivel connectors on the throw-out bearing were leaking, I replaced them with fixed connections.
Tested for leaks before replacement and all seems fine now. No fluid seeping from between bellhousing and engine plate, nor anywhere else.

Initially the clutch was fine, but after manoeuvering the car from the garage at the rear, to the front of the house, it would refuse to engage gears.
Bled the system many times but would lose the pedal (air in the system) after a while......but with ideas from here and other places, I believe all air has now been removed from the system.

Now, the last time I bled the system, I thought I'd sussed it.......but after a while I couldn't engage gears, BUT!, instead of the clutch engaging closer and closer to the floor, this time (if I cut the engine, put it in gear and started the engine) the clutch engaged consistantly in the same place (approximately half way up).

Bled the system again today, no air bubbles, same thing happened.

I'm now thinking it's to do with heat?!......engine getting hot, slipping the clutch, constant gear engagement/dis-engagement.
New clutch plates expanding, maybe a bit sticky and making it difficult to engage gears?!

Update

The bearing is touching the fingers constantly.

Engagement/dis-engagement is fine to begin with.
Slips straight into gears and works fine.
It's just after 10 minutes or so from cold and you start to feel resistance to going into forward gears and reverse starts to grind.
Gradually gets worse until it won't engage......but as I say, if I can get it into gear, lift the clutch pedal to half-way up and then the car starts to move.
Press it down again and it stops moving........

Back