• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Mercury Bobcat wagon

tarafied1

My youngest son is graduating HS this weekend. I just bought him a 1980 Mercury Bobcat wagon. He has a 67 Chevy van but it's a 283 with 4.11's and still needs a lot of work to be reliable. He will continue to keep it as a project (he has a LS engine for it).
He will be starting college this fall so we thought this would be better for driving around. It's 2.3 four banger with a C4 auto. It needs a head gasket. It was a factory AC/PS car. The AC compressor is gone but everything else is there. I paid $650 for it. Will probably pull the engine and go through it for peace of mind. Most kids would be insulted but he is over the moon happy!
13177306_1176051129081309_6554522320105519128_n.jpg

13173644_1176051132414642_7558323342347166416_n.jpg

13230142_1176051162414639_6540703788389401166_n.jpg

Sweeeet!! While I hated that they dressed a Pinto up in a new suit and called it a Mustang, I've never had anything against the Pintos and Bobcats. You don't see many on the road nowadays. I hope your son enjoys it. He won't be passing another on the road!

I do have a favor to ask. Could you shoot me a pic or two of the seat back latch and the catch at the base? I've been watching 70's and 80's cars for their release assemblies for a project. I've been looking for just the right one! Thanks!!

I do have a favor to ask. Could you shoot me a pic or two of the seat back latch and the catch at the base? I've been watching 70's and 80's cars for their release assemblies for a project. I've been looking for just the right one! Thanks!!
sure, I go pick it up tomorrow afternoon. I'll shoot some pics for you

and yeah, he won't see too many Pinto's and then even less Pinto wagon's. I can't imagine there are very many Bobcat wagons running around anymore!

A little wax and some buffing and he is on his way....

Don't see many for sure...locally there is one Pinto Runabout that is cherry and a Pinto wagon with porthole windows on Craigslust that needs restored.

Nice. IIRC, the 2.3L 4cylinder is very reliable. Change the timing belt while you're at it.

Nice. IIRC, the 2.3L 4cylinder is very reliable. Change the timing belt while you're at it.
that engine has been used in Rangers into the 2000's and has a lot of aftermarket support. We are going to rebuild it this summer so in the fall when he starts college it will be ready to go!

A little wax and some buffing and he is on his way....

Don't see many for sure...locally there is one Pinto Runabout that is cherry and a Pinto wagon with porthole windows on Craigslust that needs restored.
we found a couple Pinto wagons sitting and rotting away. The owners wouldn't sell. One of them was a port hole panel wagon. This one is really solid and mostly original.

Always great to have some Farther / Son projects! Good luck and keep us posted.
thanks, he likes weird vehicles. Both the van and the Pinto are unique! He is going to take some automotive classes and hopes to get the van into the school shop to convert to an LS motor. The Pinto will be a daily driver but he is already talking about an EcoBoost swap!

yes, it would be quite a sleeper!

and yeah I better go have a talk with his girlfriends dad I guess! So far he has been driving my 72 Chevy pickup which is pretty safe looking I guess...

how's this?
IMG_4122.jpg

cleaned it up a bit. I also pressure washed the engine (head was already off). Now that it's clean I can see it had a burnt piston...
IMG_4126.jpg

No, you don't see wagons around very often, there is one on my local CL, but he is just selling the rims
http://bismarck.craigslist.org/wto/5595070616.html
00505_gvliF51sQ5C_600x450.jpg

And while not an EcoBoost, have you considered a Zetec or a Duratec?
I scrounge shop for things I don't need, and buy them when the price is too good to say no...
Recently I picked up an unknown condition 2.0L Zetec for $20; and the pair of "parts" V8 T5's for $25 (with V8 bellhousing)
IMG_2582_zpspvofz3pd.jpg

I am still hoping to find a 2.3L T5 or M5OD-1
With minor modifications to a 2.3L bellhousing, the transmission bolt up to the 2.0L
Most people will say and recommend that you use an electronic controller for at least ignition, but I am researching other options.
I found this on a forum, I'm trying to decide if I attempt to locate these factory looking parts
200806291112455249SELLING%20023.jpg

Or if I find a Ford 4cyl distributor and wing it like this guy did. (this is not a Ford motor)
metro87.jpg

Here is a 2.0L Running a Megajolt with IR motorcycle carbs..
2013-05-13_17.32.18.jpg

Back