• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Mercury Bobcat wagon

My son has been driving it to work. Couple nights now. Last night he got pulled over, cop says that's pretty loud. (Open header). My son said "well we just got done rebuilding the engine and trans and I haven't got a chance to get it to the exhaust shop yet." Cop responds, "the motor looks pretty good (hood is still off), how about you don't drive it this late at night anymore..." Auto Zone closes at 9pm and he usually doesn't get out of there until around 10pm on nights he closes up so it was "late" I guess.
I was glad the cop let him off. He didn't even ask to see his proof of insurance or registration.
So now we got to get an exhaust on it because he goes to school during the day and works at night. It's grounded till we make it quiet... er

My son and his friends learned from an early age, if they want to use the tools they get cleaned and put back right where they were found. My dad taught me that and I have followed suit. The last thing I want to do when I need a tool is to go searching for it....and I hate grabbing a tool and finding it greasy.
I was taught that too. My dad was the same way. Clean the tools and put them back and you can use them all you want.
I am trying the same approach but he is still not quite there. Getting better though...

I was taught that too. My dad was the same way. Clean the tools and put them back and you can use them all you want.
I am trying the same approach but he is still not quite there. Getting better though...

Ground him from the use of the tools when he really wants to get the car on the road. One time and he will remember it forever. Don't ask me how I know.....

I still haven't learned that lesson in my own garage. Craig can attest to the fact that i wonder around the garage looking for a tool often finding it in the spot I just looked lol.

... The last thing I want to do when I need a tool is to go searching for it....and I hate grabbing a tool and finding it greasy.
My pet peeve also. Most ofthe time my boys remembered to put it away but not to clean them.

Being so old, I can't even remember where I put my keys, hearing aide, cane, walker, etc...

I still haven't learned that lesson in my own garage. Craig can attest to the fact that i wonder around the garage looking for a tool often finding it in the spot I just looked lol.
yes indeed! I guess that prooves he is my son!
I'm not the most organized or even the least messy, but I do like to put my tools away. I also like them to be clean.
Ground him from the use of the tools when he really wants to get the car on the road. One time and he will remember it forever. Don't ask me how I know.....
yeah, I think that would work

I had a 67 T-Bird demolition derby car n cut out the exhaust right away. Neighbors almost assembled a tar n feather party but I got them on my side when I asked for their help to paint it. White flat and used rollers....

I'm pretty anal when it comes to my tools, in the middle of a job, they are scattered around and greasy but when I put them away, they are clean and in order.

I'm pretty anal when it comes to my tools, in the middle of a job, they are scattered around and greasy but when I put them away, they are clean and in order.

I clean and put them away at the end of each day even if I haven't finished the job and plan to use them the next day.

I wish one of my boys wanted to use tools! The older never really got into working on cars then he goes and joins the Marines to be a Jet mech. Go figure. Youngest came out to garage yesterday for a bit. He was bored. I asked him to help me cut some metal with a cutoff wheel figuring he'd find it cool. Nah, too loud and dangerous he said. Dangerous? When I was young that's all I needed to hear to want to try!

I clean and put them away at the end of each day even if I haven't finished the job and plan to use them the next day.
I do that also. Changing the engine or transmission in a newer vehicle, you'd be amazed how many tools you use! Half of my tools are scattered across my bench, lift legs, rolling cart. Using socket trays and the plastic trays the screw drivers and other stuff come in make it easier to make sure you haven't lost anything or donated it to the customer.

I am pretty bad, I even put them away WHILE working on the car. I hate walking around trying to remember where I laid it down so I just put it back in the tool box. I do of course accumulate some tools in a pile as I work but cuz it can be too much to constantly go to the tool box but as much as I can I just put them away.
I have a junkyard tool box so I don't have to take the tools from my regular tool box. And I have some basic tools I keep in the trunk of each car and I have tools in the house for house related stuff. I even bought my wife some tools so she won't take mine!
I have been buying my boys tools too so they will use there own but they are getting into bigger projects where they need my tools too. I guess I am weird about my tools!

My problem is I tinker. I have limited time so I start something and leave that tools there until I'm done... but start on other things in the process. Guess I'm ADD. But I do make a point when I get through my little projects to clean the garage and put all tools away.

My problem is I tinker. I have limited time so I start something and leave that tools there until I'm done... but start on other things in the process. Guess I'm ADD. But I do make a point when I get through my little projects to clean the garage and put all tools away.
I don't have an issue with that if no one else has access to the tools. I was a mechanic for a couple years and I hated people just picking up my tools. Also I often travel for a few weeks at a time so I hate to leave them out while I am gone. I loose things to easy!

That's kind of like me. Since I work weekends some times I work on a project before or after work. I usually leave the tools I used out until the job is done, which is sometimes days later. . Then put everything away.

I have a large tool box for storage. and a smaller rolling 3 drawer box that I load up to move around my project. Then it goes back on the big tool box for storage.

When my kids are using my tools I typically try to have them keep a cardboard box nearby to toss all the tools into so they don't go too far... ( kicked wrenches, rolling sockets etc..) I especially hate having tools scattered on the floor. We don't always put the tools away at the end of the day, but try to at least group them on the workbench so they aren't too hard to find.

I can relate to this. I try to keep things put away. But I will set it down and forget where I left it. Now work is a different story. My job is field service, so if I leave a tool behind it is as good as gone. Pet peeve: I hate loosing tools.

fd

Back