• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Modified 1968 Coupe

I sanded with 320 than epoxy primed white

376.jpg

377.jpg

After lightly wet sanding they were sprayed with SPI Red followed the next day with SPI Universal Clear.

378.jpg

379.jpg

Steve Baur the editor of Modified Mustangs & Fords Magazine asked if I would give 20 tips on how to do a paint job and wanted me to paint the Coupe for a future bodywork issue.

I have the doors and fenders painted

382.jpg

380.jpg

I epoxy primed the body yesterday with SPI white and today we are wet sanding getting ready for paint.

386.jpg

387.jpg

"lethal289" said:
Do you ever let Brian paint? That looks awesome!

He gets to paint the easy things like roll cages!!

He did paint his T-bird

81-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"65-408" said:
Am I the only one that can't see these latest pics? tried IE and Firefox both and neither shows them?
Gotta be on your end. Firefox here and the pics show fine.

Ready to come out of the booth for wet sanding

392.jpg

After wet sanding with 400 Brian taped again and it is ready for 3 more coats of clear

393.jpg

Wet sanding the clear with 400?! Isn't that ultra aggressive? I thought 1000 was more like it at that point. You're the expert so please explain. I sprayed the first coats of clear on mine with the intention of possibly laying on more after I finish up some unplanned work. Is the 400 for adhesion purposes for the later coats of clear?

"Horseplay" said:
Wet sanding the clear with 400?! Isn't that ultra aggressive? I thought 1000 was more like it at that point. You're the expert so please explain. I sprayed the first coats of clear on mine with the intention of possibly laying on more after I finish up some unplanned work. Is the 400 for adhesion purposes for the later coats of clear?

It makes the panel flat if you use 1000 it won't be flat. I don't sand the edges or jambs with 400 just use a scuff pad.

This is a fantastic thread, Hi from Australia! I am following this very closely as my drip rails are completely rusted out and haven't seen many mustangs with them shaved. You're doing an amazing job love the photos

car is turning out really nice, as usual! isn't it nice that with the SPI clear, you can cut/buff easy after letting it set for a few days? i buffed some parts yesterday that were painted last month. was just as easy as if it had been a day or so.

The body was wet sanded with 1000,1500,2000,2500.

397.jpg

One side is buffed still needs to be polished

398.jpg

I think it needs a bit more shine....

That is going to be bright.....and look real good.

Back