• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Modified Mustangs & Fords TCI Coyote install

GPR

Today we will be starting the install of the new TCI front suspension for a Coyote for the magazine project car. This is what we are starting with.

01.jpg

03.jpg

I won't be able to give you a lot of details you will have to follow along in the magazine.

Before we can remove the shock towers and start the TCI install we have some rust to repair.

16.jpg

18.jpg

Rusty, when you've got the cowl out like along with the side panels, how are you bracing it up? Also, if you needed to remove the firewall from there, how would you brace it up? I'm about to pull the firewall with my cowl out like that along with the side cowls. Just concerned about flexing.

Bill

After looking it over we found rust and patches in the shock towers and frame rails so we decided to replace the frame rails.

It is a good thing we removed the frame rails the left side was never welded to the floor pan and also had rust holes in it.

40.jpg

43.jpg

"67 Fastback" said:
Rusty, when you've got the cowl out like along with the side panels, how are you bracing it up? Also, if you needed to remove the firewall from there, how would you brace it up? I'm about to pull the firewall with my cowl out like that along with the side cowls. Just concerned about flexing.

Bill

We had 4 jack stands in the front 2 where yours are and 2 up in the front and made sure the car was level before cutting anything out. If you had to remove the firewall I would tack weld braces from the frame area on the floor pan to the top of the windshield jamb

The front frame rails have been replaced and the TCI crossmember installed. Follow along in Modified Mustangs & Fords magazine to see the install in detail

50.jpg

54.jpg

55.jpg

"Runningriot" said:
Great work! Any new updates on this project? I haven't seen anything over at Modified Mustangs & Fords.

We replaced the rear torque boxes and just finished installing the TCI subrame connectors and rear suspension that had to be modified because of the Graverobber mini tubs. There was a holdup waiting for parts. Wait to you see the custom 9". I can't post anything until after the magazine has been out awhile.

A few more pictures. We have been working on other projects and waiting for the Speedway Engineering rear end to be finished.

72.jpg

73.jpg

74.jpg

We haven't done anything to straighten out the firewall until we see how the engine fits

75.jpg

We had already cut out the transmission tunnel and yesterday Steve brought the engine and trans.

DSCN4473_zpsab638779.jpg

There has been a lot of talk how the TCI products don't fit but we had no problem. The motor mounts that bolt to the block are slotted and we installed them the as far forward as we could to set the engine back. The mounts were tighten on the block and it was a tight fit with the shifter clearing the cutout in the firewall and the pan clearing the radiator support but we got it in. It went in on the first try. The tranny tunnel needs to be trimmed a little more but it does not hit. The bolts went into the motor mounts with no problems and we have pan clearance at the crossmember and rack.

DSCN4480_zps8e65ffd1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just reading through this and noticed that you built some braces where a torque box would normally be, how would you say the structure in that area compares.. between Torque box and your bracing?

As it arrived with no bracing
11.jpg

With tubular braces between the frame rail and rocker panel.
50.jpg

I ask because I have a '67 Coupe that I am not sure if it has torque boxes or not and if I should add them or a brace similar to yours.

Back