• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Muffler placement.......

AzPete

Using everything equal such as type and size of pipe, type muffler, and a full length system, are the mufflers louder close to the headers or farther away? Is a car louder with them bolted to the headers and full tail pipe or full pipe with the muffler under the trunk?

When I got my first car ('68 FB) it had the mufflers bolted right to the headers and then turn downs after that. It was pretty damn loud. After rubbing the crap out of them on speed bumps I moved them back to in front of the axle. Just added a couple feet of pipe, same mufflers, same turn downs and it was noticeably quieter in the car, didnt seem much quieter outside the car though.

That I have tried also. What I am wondering, is using the same length system, just relocating the mufflers. Does the sound change.

"AzPete" said:
That I have tried also. What I am wondering, is using the same length system, just relocating the mufflers. Does the sound change.

As an acoustical engineer by education, I believe that the sound would change. The main resonance is dictated by the length of the pipe and the diameter. The secondary acoustic resonances are dominated by the muffler itself, and those don't change (which is why most flowmasters sound similar from car to car). The tertiary frequencies are dictated by the length of the header to muffler and then the length from the muffler to tail pipe. Those lengths can be varied to tune the sound.

And now, I'll :stfu

So, I know they will change. What I need to know without the expense of multiple installs is which is louder with the same size and length pipes. Header mufflers with full tail pipe or full tail pipe with mufflers at the trunk.........which has a louder sound to the outside world

I would think that mufflers early and then long pipes would help quiet it down. When I was making my exhaust, I would start it up after each piece was added. After I added the extra 2' of pipe after the muffler, it did make it just a little bit quieter and a diff tone. I'm talking very minor differences though. It's still pretty dang loud.

"AzPete" said:
Using everything equal such as type and size of pipe, type muffler, and a full length system, are the mufflers louder close to the headers or farther away? Is a car louder with them bolted to the headers and full tail pipe or full pipe with the muffler under the trunk?

Like Mid says, I don't think length from header to muffler matters much. Tone should change minimally. Length of tail pipes however does matter. If you mount the mufflers to the headers (ie header mufflers) then run full length tailpipes, you are going to get tailpipes that rap. Ever hear a redneck truck that raps when they let off the accelerator?

Thanks. So pipes with the mufflers at the end of the system would be a bit louder but without the rapping. Now, I need to look into a change from the 40's. To much the same sound everybody else has. I want side exits and may just do a cheap straight thru at first. hmmmmm

"AzPete" said:
Thanks. So pipes with the mufflers at the end of the system would be a bit louder but without the rapping. Now, I need to look into a change from the 40's. To much the same sound everybody else has. I want side exits and may just do a cheap straight thru at first. hmmmmm

50s are quieter and don't have that tinny ping to them.

Did I mention wanting quieter???? If I did, I must be getting old. lol Gotta have more noise so I can harass Midlife's wife when I go up there. lol

The truth is is that Pete is getting old and hard of hearing. He needs the loudest muffler possible so he can tell if the car is running or not. We fixed the vibrating bumper a few weeks back, and the noise is the only thing left he has to rely upon...

I just watch the wife for that info now.

I had a difficult time removing Midlife from that vibrating bumper. All he wanted to do was lean against it.......and moan.

Thought about that. The last time I had them, the mufflers never got used. Gotta be a bit more careful now days.

They make some electric openers that replace the cap. Activation is by toggle switch while sitting in the car. They cost about $400+ retail but I think the guy that did my headliner said cost was a little over $200 for him. Needless to say I'll be getting them through him.

I have been looking at them. I have not heard how well they hold up. The older manual ones seemed to warp pretty easy.

She bro, Mo fo gotta git som a dem......woops, guess I got to wrapped up in the "program".

No, no, no... mine is just the actual exhaust. My rims are no where near large enough to handle those tips. :rofl

Back