• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My 65 coupe

Tony R

I bought this car and had intended on keeping it stock until I got into the repairs and decided to mod it out. It was bought for the sole purpose of being a project car. When purchased it required a little work to get it to start and I drove it a block down the street and back and then it was stripped to a bare chassis. I was told that the car had never been wrecked but discovered that the drivers side rear quarter panel was caved in and covered with a large amount of bondo. So i had to replace the quarter outer wheel well and the trunk floor and drop off. I then had to replace the drivers side floor pan and installed torque boxes. I welded in panels to seal off the cowl vent and then built a rotisserie and as soon as I got the car in the air I sand blasted it in my garage(not recommended).
Once it was blasted and primed I started fabricating patch panels to fix all of the cancer throughout the car. The passenger side door pillar was rotten so i had to find a donor and replace it.

Attachments

• Picture 021.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 174
Just figured out how to put in more than one pic. Here is the finished door pillar.
My roof looked like someone had beat on it with a bat so I found a donor roof and cut it off and replaced it. I had already planned on removing the drip rails so I was a step ahead when I had the roof cut off. While I was putting the roof back on I decided that I didn't want to see the chrome trim around the front and rear window any more so I am in the process of flush mounting them. I am currently trying to get a piece of glass made for the rear window so that it has a flatter contour. I am fine with the side to side curve but the up and down curve makes the window look like a bubble when it is in the frame. Here are some of the progress pics so far.

Attachments

• tmpphpl9PDBF.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 127
  • tmpphppbypjE.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 330
  • Picture 083.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 126
  • tmpphpaLSnb4.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 114
While I had the roof off i decided to practice my free hand painting abilities and masked off some rally stripes and painted a couple of versions of flames. I am going with the bottom flames. I just have to decide if I like the left or right style more. I am going to paint the car black with a purple pearl.

Attachments

• tmpphpRuAmQa.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 50
Sweet build. Some very nice work. Great job on the flames. It will be very interesting to see how this one unfolds. Keep us posted.

Thanks. I plan to tone them down more. I want them to be a little more subtle. This was my first attempt and I just wanted to see if I could do them. I have painted the traditional style before like what is in my exploder.

Attachments

• tmpphp1zOxby.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 38
So I finally got some more work done on the rear window. I have been trying to cross a large hurdle that I brought on myself. When I mocked up the rear window to be flushed I took special care to bend all of the metal to the exact shape of the window and tack welded in place. Stupid me I welded it too hot and warped the hell out of it. So I cut, pounded and re welded the majority of it up the last couple days.
My neighbor replaces windows for cars for a living so I talked with him and we took my rear window as a template and found that his (IIRC) aero star van has the right curve that I need but has a flatter profile so when I flush the window it doesn't pop out like a bubble. So now I am waiting for a widow to get delivered then I will take it down and get it cut to the shape of the rear window. I will still have some massaging to do when I get the new window since it isn't a perfect contour . However I did also make the discovery that the window that I had in the car(which I broke during mock up) is not the same shape as the one that I bought off craigs list.

Attachments

• tmpphpH5qzpt.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 25
  • tmpphpaLSnb4.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 25
  • tmpphpd4udU0.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 26
I have asked around other sites for something like that. I don't really like the wing window either. I was tempted to try to make a template and see what I could have made. Or look around a wrecking yard for a car with glass that is similar in shape but chances of finding something like that are slim.

I just received my windshield from an 2000 dodge caravan so now I need to find a place that will cut it. With luck next week I will have the rear window frame completed.

I got my windshield back today, but I have to get another one and have it re cut since the glass guy cracked this one. I can still use the cracked one to finish my mock up of the frame. I like this window better than the stock window since this one came out flat so there is not a bubble effect when you look at it. It has a slightly different contour than the original but it wont be that hard to work it out in the frame. I hope to get out in the garage and work on it this weekend so I will post some pics then.

Nice work Tony. You better get a move on before the bun in the oven show up. I find it damn near impossible to work in the garage now that we have 2 kids. Let me know if you need an extra set of hands. I owe you.

Back