• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My 67 fastback build

FINALLY got the upper cowl welded in. This cowl replacement/firewall replacement has taken considerably longer than I had originally thought. Anyhow after two trips from Craig to help me and a day of help from my brother to test fit the hood and fenders, it's finally done. I still need to get the cowl fender apron extensions welded in but ran out of shielding gas. The fenders and hood fit real well, they need a slight bit of adjustment, but that's all they need. The nasty gaps that were there are gone, if anything they are a little tighter now.

1347826915.jpg

1347826901.jpg

1347826891.jpg

Now, I need to get the passenger floor pan in then the seat risers. I think I'm going to go with a 69-70 seat riser on the driver's side, I still need to buy it though. Then I'm done with the sheet metal back to the quarters and that will be my next challenge.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Eventually all that hard work wil pay off !!!
You are doing great !!! :thu :thu :thu :thu :thu

"B67FSTB" said:
Eventually all that hard work wil pay off !!!
You are doing great !!! :thu :thu :thu :thu :thu

Thanks brother. It is wasn't for work, wife, kids, money, and life in general this thing would have been done 5 years ago :roll And to think I thought about selling this pile.

Bill

"tarafied1" said:
that looks great, glad to see it coming together. Now you have some momentum!!!

But fall is upon us and not much gets done by me during the winter months :nut

I'm going to try to get as much as I can done. Hopefully that deal with the full quarters comes through.

Bill

Got the drivers floor pan all buttoned up and fit and welded in the 69-70 seat riser.
DSCN0090_zps4fcf5861.jpg

Also, burnt in the shock tower reinforcement I got from Steve.
DSCN0094_zpsca4ecdeb.jpg

I bought some decent fenders also. They need some work but they are not rusty.
DSCN0089_zpsc52c1f37.jpg

DSCN0096_zps06707899.jpg

I started on the passenger floor pan and boogered it up. I cut it too short. I could make it work, but , I'm gonna pick up another one and try to get it in next week. If 65 bux is all that I have to worry about on this car, then I have no worries at all.

So, after I get the passenger floor pan and riser in, I'll been that much closer. I'll move back to the passenger side quarter area and replace the outer wheel well and patch the inner. I also have to replace drop off getting ready for full quarters. Then rinse and repeat for the drivers side. Still lots of work to do.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
I looks like progress though. I know it's a lot of work but looking good! Those fenders look pretty decent, good score. Did you see 67marti's quarters he cut off? They look like they would be a lot of work but maybe a fraction of the cost....

"tarafied1" said:
I looks like progress though. I know it's a lot of work but looking good! Those fenders look pretty decent, good score. Did you see 67marti's quarters he cut off? They look like they would be a lot of work but maybe a fraction of the cost....

I'm still rolling that quarter around in my head. I hated that he had to cut it at the rocker though.

Bill

"tarafied1" said:
yeah, they would be a lot of fab work, it all depend on the price & shipping

Yeah. I spoke with Kentucky Mustang and he told me 700 for a set of quarters if I picked them up. Seems the better way to go. I'm dreading the quarters. Looks like alot of work. I, also, ordered another floor pan this morning. Hopefully it will make it this coming week and I can slip away for a day and get it installed before I go back to work.

Bill

I here ya, I think that's why he cut them off too. Easier to start with clean parts. Good luck with your plans

I went out and did a little. All you have to do is at least go out and look at it and think and plan.

Got my passenger floor pan tonight. I'm gonna try to get it in this week before I go back to work.

Bill

Been almost 6 months since an update, thought it was time...

Floor pans are all, but done. Need to dress the welds on the passenger and make a couple more passes to finish it, then burn in the seat riser. Close enough to move on for the moment.
1372705186_zps8aff27c6.jpg

1372704833_zps043b6985.jpg

Since I've got the itch to get this thing to a roller, I've shifted my attention to finishing up the suspension pieces and getting them in.
The rear is almost ready. The 8.8 has 3.25 axle tubes and my stock spring mounts wouldn't work and I didn't want to take the time to go the junkyard to get the explorer ones, I mocked some up to get them mounted... well the u-bolts came with nylon lock washers and of course wouldn't tighten up to where I needed. The hardware store was out of 9/16 fine thread nuts, so that put that project on hold.
1372705456_zpse56c0b43.jpg

Started working on the front pieces that are getting fitted with Opentracker supplied parts to convert to roller. After a few minutes with him on the phone, I got the upper bodies ready for sandblasting.
1372705004_zpsc97ee2ae.jpg

The lowers need the factory rivets cut out of the balljoints and they are ready for sandblasting.

Bill

Lowers done and ready for sandblasting or wiring brushing. Don't have ready access to a sandblaster, so I'm going to try a cup brush on these and see how they turn out.

1372808817_zps21e20598.jpg

Bill

Back