• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My adventure/process in homemade adjustable Strut Rods (pics).

"janschutz" said:
Go ahead if you like your food smelling like baking paint. It will stink up the house if you do it in the kitchen (guess how I know :roll)
Damn, that stuff will kill you!!!!!! :skul

Guy doing my body work on my mustang brought his Eastwood PC stuff to my shop. He's done a ton of stuff. Messy and smelly but pretty easy to do.

J. your fab work is awesome as usual. I can't help but wonder though, wouldn't it be much easier to bend a piece of steel, something similar to what jonk posted?

Where did you get your heim joints from? I've been looking for some.

J,
Can I drop the Drag car off so you can back-half it for me? You make me sick with those skillz and even without all the tools. Nice work!

"Fast68back" said:
How much coin you got wrapped up in these J?

The DOM tubing & conical spacers I had left over from the ratrod build = so 0$ for that. The rest I think I am up to about $112 dollars.

"lethal289" said:
J. your fab work is awesome as usual. I can't help but wonder though, wouldn't it be much easier to bend a piece of steel, something similar to what jonk posted?

Where did you get your heim joints from? I've been looking for some.

From Speedway:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Chrome-Pl ... ,7063.html

And yes, it would have been hella easier to bend and.or weld up some end brackets. But I like this better.

Been cheaper to just buy them from Shaun, but since you're a tightwad......

I guess mine looks like a bent piece of metal but it's a rod clevis from CRC. I found it in Daze's instructions I used as a guide to build my own but I used the 3/4" RC-07 for my '67 vs. Daze's RC-05 7/16" for his '64 1/2.
http://dazed.home.bresnan.net/adjustable
http://www.crconline.com/Components/Com ... levis.html
RodClevisCRCstrutrods.jpg

I got my rod ends/swedge tubes from speedway also and bolts from Fastenal.
Jon

"silverblueBP" said:
If labor is free in your world, you can build me a rat rod!

Sure thang buddy. I will warn you though.... my material markup is rather substantial...

Mind sharing where you found the tube coupling? It doesn't look like the standard swedged one everyone else uses!

26-271211111838.jpeg

"lethal289" said:
Mind sharing where you found the tube coupling? It doesn't look like the standard swedged one everyone else uses!

You mean the heims joints?

If so, I ordered them from speedway. I thought I posted a link to the heims earlier in the post.

Sorry, maybe it is a swedged tube. Its just not the standard gold? I mean this one.

index.php

Attachments

• strut.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 174
"SELLERSRODSHOP" said:
i think he said he made those with leftover DOM tubing from the ratrod build.

Ah, I see. And yes, Steve is correct. I had to enlarge the O.D. just a bit and then tap the fine threads.

And I did get them powder coated and installed. They fit fine - except i had to change from a standard nut to a jamb nut.

Now I need an alignment. Big time.

I will post some pics of the finished pieces and the inner bushings that I made.

"70_Fastback" said:
And I did get them powder coated and installed. They fit fine - except i had to change from a standard nut to a jamb nut.

Now I need an alignment. Big time.

I will post some pics of the finished pieces and the inner bushings that I made.

Sounds like an alignment party at Bob's!

Back