• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

My backup lights shes a no work.

RagTop

Old Grumpy
I recently bought LED replacements for my backup light bulbs on my '69 vert. I just realized yesterday that the backups don't work. I really don't know if the backups were working prior to putting in the LEDs. One rarely gets a chance to see one's own backup lights. I tried testing them by turning the ignition to the on position and putting the car in reverse. Should the backups be working by doing this? If they should, they aint. Now I have discovered that the reason might be a failed neutral safety switch which, IIRC, is on the shifter mechanism. Before I go off and start tearing into the car, was my testing method correct? Is there any other component that might be failed?

Many LED's are polarized, so they must be inserted into the socket in a particular way. I'd check that first before tearing into the car and tearing your hair out (I'm assuming you do have hair...).

A fuse may also be bad. Backup lights are typically on the same circuit as the radio power and part of the wiper system. Are those working OK?

Back